Fire and energy

"You know, there is nothing more attractive, than going to bed with my wife, and the laptop chained to her wrists."

I look up from the lit screen and smile as Zak rubs a towel over his head. "Sounds like you're a little jealous?"

"I think I might be. What could you possibly be looking at now?" He asks, climbing into bed and pulling the laptop off me. His eyes narrow at the screen. "Is that the house? Behind us?"

I nod. "The owner said there was a fire, gutted the place. I was just curious as to what started it."

"And you didn't ask him? When he mentioned it?"

"Didn't seem appropriate."

Zak frowns. "What else are you expecting to find?"

"I don't unders-"

He turns the laptop, showing my other open page. It's a search engine of house fires linked to demonic forces.

"Okay I can explain..."

"Go ahead. Explain why you still can't turn off, even while we are on vacation? Why you are still squirrelling around on the internet looking for things that aren't there?"

Feeling a little attacked, I fire back. "And how do you know there isn't? Expert in fires now?"

"No, but I class myself as an expert in the paranormal field and the incidents of demons starting fires are little to none."

"How do you know this isn't the first? This could be massive-"

"Or a complete waste of time and another thing that's going to get between us? I'm here, with you, Maria. This whole vacation was to help you, and I'm here to support that. But how can I, when you are doing the exact same thing as you did in Vegas?"

"Hold on a second-" I'm interrupted this time by Theo on the monitor. Not by Zak.

As I go to push the laptop off me, Zak jumps out of bed and pulls on a pair of shorts. "Forget it, I'll go. I don't want our child interrupting whatever goose chance you're on now."

When he leaves, I slam the laptop lid down and toss it on the other side of the bed, annoyed at him and myself.

I didn't want to explain myself but now I felt like I had too and despite everything, he's probably right, this could be a goose chase that will lead me nowhere. But what if it isn't?

What if this is some kind of message?

Staring at the bedroom door, I wait for him to come back. But when he doesn't, I admit defeat and toss myself down in bed, pulling the sheets up. I stare out the window at the moon and the sea, letting it calm me, until eventually, I drop off.

*****

One piece of advise my mum gave me when I got married, was never go to bed on an argument. I wished I had listened to that advice last night and sorted things with Zak, because now, this morning, there was an obvious vibration of tension.

Theo was either unaware or didn't care for what was going on, only wanting to watch his show and get back onto the beach. It's his pure soul and energy I am thankful he doesn't pick up on it.

When we get to the beach, he tears off, little net in hand to go and find the crabs, whilst I sit up on a rock, letting the sound of the waves soothe me. I keep a watchful eye on him, Gracie too who has chased after him.

"Want to talk about it?" Zak asks sitting on the rock a little lower from me.

"What would be the point?" I respond, watching as Theo kicks Gracies ball across the sand.