Stone tape?

Silence weighs down the room, as I struggle to grasp the idea that the dream meant something after all.

"Maria, let's just sit down."

I take a look at Theo, his bright blue eyes shooting between me and his daddy, full of happiness that he is back. He will always be his father's son. The dark hair and ice blue eyes are the biggest give away. A spitting image of Zak now, not when he was a small boy. It's strange how things turn out..

Giving Theo a smile, I remember why we came home and not because I am scared, although that does play a part in our sudden departure.

"I have to fix Theo some food. Whatever you want to tell me. It can wait." I answer, heading into the kitchen and opening the fridge to see what was inside. I could probably make hotdogs, or burgers, nachos, fajitas?

"Maria-"

"Please Zak, I said it can wait." I interrupt him.

Looking over my shoulder, I see Theo on his tablet, sliding his finger across the screen quickly, no doubt colouring.

Turning my eyes to Zak, I find him with his brow cocked, looking at me.

  "Not in front of him. Okay?"

Zak himself then looks at Theo and nods in understanding before tidying the paperwork away and putting it aside.

"What can I do to help?" He asks, clapping his hands together. I pull out the peppers and toss them over to Zak.

"Get chopping. Spaghetti Bolognese tonight, Theo. Okay?"

"With Cheese?"

A smile pulls on my face instantly at how easy to please he is. "With cheese."

"Yay!"

"I never had peppers in my bolognese, not until I met you." Zak tells me as I reach around him and pick up a chopping board. "I like it."

"Good. So do I, so get chopping Mr Bagans otherwise we will have to go without."

We work quietly in the kitchen, chopping, peeling, dicing, with Theo giving us a running commentary on his beach finds of the day, when I notice the mountain of diced peppers.

"Am I cooking for the military? What's all the peppers for?" I laugh, using a knife to slide them into a bowl.

"No, um.. About that-"

"Hello?!" A voice yells from outside the kitchen door.

My brain takes roughly half a second to comment the voice to the face, the same goes for Theo when he gasps and tosses the tablet aside, in favour of running to the front door. I look at Zak who is still looking at the worktop, avoiding my eyes.

"Well now it makes sense." I bite.

"I was going to tell you." He whispers.

"When? When we sat down to eat?" I hiss at him, annoyed.

"UNCLE AARON!" Theo yells from the hallway making me ditch the food and wander after him. There's a buzz of activity when I get into the hallway. With Theo now over Aaron's shoulder, Aaron galloping around avoiding a couple of bags whilst Luna laughs watching them.

"Well this is a lovely surprise!" I smile, holding out my arms to give Luna a hug.

She accepts instantly and grins. "It is, huh? I'm so glad. We have the cottage next door, don't worry, you won't have to smell Aaron's feet."

I laugh.

"Now that I can live without." Letting her go, I step back and lift up a piece of her hair. "What is this?"