We want Answers

Maria POV

Loose limbed, mouth slack and hair tousled. Zak looks more relaxed now than what he has in months, this vacation was a good thing, a very, good thing. With his hand outstretched to my side of the bed, he sleeps.

"You're more comfortable by the sea." I whisper to him, reaching out and tracing around his jaw line.

I never understood why he settled in Vegas, specially when the ocean called to a part deep within his soul. Maybe it was for his family? Maybe it was the bright lights and casinos? I had never asked him, but one day I think I might.

The green light on the child monitor illuminates one corner of the room, letting me know that it is on and still working. The green telling me that Theo was sound asleep, much like his father.  I knew the fresh air had exhausted him, normally it would me too, but tonight I just couldn't turn my head off.

This afternoon had been wonderful, for us all. Walking along the beach, shoes in hand, sand between our toes whilst Gracie and Theo ran ahead. The warm air and cool water which breached the shore occasionally. Whilst Zak spoke, I smiled and listened, ignoring the gnawing feeling behind me.

A part of me was angry at myself, that I couldn't just enjoy this moment between us without letting my head take over. But why on earth would I dream about a house, that I had never seen before..

Why would I dream that it caught fire?

It was a strange and unsettling feeling. One, I wasn't ready to share.. Not yet.

"Maria.." Zak speaks, making my eyes move back to him instantly. I wait, expecting his eyes to open, but they don't and he mumbles something else before flipping onto his back.  I shake my head lightly and rub his bare back, letting what ever dream he is having settle and pass.

I should tell him.

What would I say? I dreamt about a house fire and it looked like the one behind me?

No. No it sounds ridiculous.

It is ridiculous.... Unless there is something to it?

What if there was a fire? Or there is going to be a fire? But if there was, what was the black figure I seen moving within the flames?

Even now, the images still seem so vivid, so real.. Is there a chance that it's all in my head? Some subconscious projection with how my life is going?

People google there dreams, maybe I should start doing that? Or get a dream journal and write it all down?

Dragging a hand down my face, I give up with the idea and roll onto my side, staring out at the ocean, watching the moon bounce off the water.

Whatever is going on with me, stays with me..

****

I'm scooping a pancake around the pan when I'm littered with kisses on the side of my neck, whilst Zak wraps his hands around my waist.

"Good morning."

I turn my head and receive a peck on the lips making me smile. "Good morning to you, someone slept well."

He nods. "So good. You should have woken me, I would have sorted breakfast.. Have you eaten?"

"Not yet, Theo has started."

"Why doesn't that surprise me, is he eating all my bacon?" Zak asks making Theo giggle.

I join them at the table and whilst we all eat our breakfast we discuss what we are going to do today. Zak has plans of wanting to take Theo down onto the beach to go and investigate rock pools, rather than have him indoors whilst the weather is nice, and I agree.