Our Souls.

I had told Zak my idea of setting up a website with information regarding lockdowns and other haunted locations and he seemed somewhat.... Indifferent. 

His smile said one thing but his eyes said another and after living and breathing with this man for the past four years+  and creating a life with him, I know when he isn't completely onboard. When I questioned it further, he admitted that it would only chain me to the laptop more.  His other concern was how it would impact on Theo and whilst I wanted to argue, he did have a point. So for now, I was back to the drawing board, but I wasn't giving up on the idea just yet... 

I'm sat on the floor in the lounge, using the coffee table as my desk as I look at the laptop screen in front of me, when Zak walks in after putting Theo to bed. 

"Hey." I smile. 

"Hey. So dragons and crabs tonight.."

My eyebrows raise. "Well how did you spin that story?"

He shakes his head. "You do not want to know.. What 'cha looking at now?"

Slipping behind me, Zak sits on the couch putting me between his knees, I stifle a moan when he begins rubbing my shoulders. Rolling my head to the side, I relish in his thumbs pushing out the knots that have been building over the last few days. 

"Reincarnation.." He reads.

My eyes move off the screen to the photo of Marie which is beside the laptop. "I know you said I couldn't do anything about MaryAnn, but I haven't wrote this off entirely."

His hands still. "I didn't say you couldn't do anything.. Just that digging over things when two historians already have seems somewhat pointless."

"I know." I groan when he pushes on a spot in my neck.

"So your attention is drawn to Marie. Mine too."

"Yeah?" I ask. 

"Sure. I believe in it, reincarnation I mean. I have to in my line of work, although it does kind of bounce with the idea of the paranormal and ghosts."

I frown. "How?"

"Well if it was entirely true.. There would be no ghosts. So whilst you believe in one, you have to believe in another. But both can't exist.."

My knitted brows don't move and I go as far as pulling away from his hands to turn and face him. "Now I am completely at loss."

He smiles. "You believe in ghosts."

"Of course."

"As do I. But I also believe in reincarnation because of my draw to the sea and now this, for you." He says gesturing to the photo of Marie. "However, both can't exist, not entirely at least. They are both of the same foundations, only slightly different in context."

I huff. "You're making me think after a long day..." Pulling myself onto my knees, I look up at him. "Play fair."

He tilts his head before smiling. "Here, let me break it down."

I scoot back as he gets up and heads into the kitchen, plucking up a balloon that had fallen out of my jacket pocket earlier in the day. Aaron joked that I must have been a clown in my past life too, to have that but I soon worked out that it was from Zak's birthday.

"What are you up to?" I ask as he fills it with water. 

"Come with me." 

Following Zak out into the garden, we stand apart, as per his instructions. I watch as he jiggles the water filled balloon between his hands.