Chapter 14: Don't Kill Him

Chapter 14

Don’t Kill Him

~Shiloh

I heard yelling and slowly opened my eyes. The other animals rustled around in their cages. My ear twitched to the side as Becca argued with another human. The voices were muffled by the heavy door that separated the room from the hallway where they were standing. I could only see her through the small window.

Rolling to my side, I watched the human. Her face was flushed, and she was clearly upset.

Soon after, the area grew still. Becca lowered her head and stood there in silence.

Turning toward the door, she looked through the window. My tail flicked back and forth, and I received a smile from her. She glanced down the hall and then back to me, before disappearing from my view.

My tail fell to the ground. Curling into a ball, I went back to sleep.

***

~Ranger

I had been waiting for nearly fifteen minutes, and Trevor had yet to acknowledge me. I sit on this couch all day if I had to.

Daven was also growing impatient. He cleared his throat. “So? What do you want us do with them?”

Trevor continued to scribble things down on different sheets of paper.

Daven let out a heated breath. “Trevor,” he said annoyed.

“I’m thinking,” replied the alpha sharply.

With a groan, Daven turned his back to his leader and sat down on the corner of the desk. “I have things to do.” He glanced over his shoulder, but the older man still ignored him. “Fine, I’ll just tell Jesse that I can’t spend time with the boys. He been complaining how I haven’t been to spend time with them, especially with another pup on the way.”

Trevor slammed his fist down. Daven didn’t even flinch. I had a feel this might be a common tactic between the two.

The alpha rubbed his face. “What do you want me to say?” he muttered. “If I want answers, than I should just let Ranger integrate them, but if I want them alive, I should forbid either of you from getting close to them.”

“I won’t do anything beyond your orders,” Daven hissed.

“You would,” replied Trevor, standing. “A sub died. With your mate being one, it won’t take much to provoke you.”

Daven glanced over his shoulder at his father-in-law. “My mate, and your son.”

“That’s why I’m not doing it either.” He walked to the window. “Midfield has lost packmates to these rogues. If they refused to speak, I would force it out of them.” He paused for a moment. “Everyone born into Midfield is my responsibility. Letting this happen is my fault as their alpha and leader.”

“Who will do it then?” I asked.

Trevor looked to me. “Find Cyrus. You and him will get these wolves to speak, or tell my nephew he has my permission to let that wolf of his run wild.”

I smiled and stood. “Yes sir.”

“This is going to be a mess,” breathed Daven.