Chapter 27: A Lingering Scent

Chapter 27

A Lingering Scent

~Shiloh

I held tightly onto Ranger's hand as he led me down the corridor. Midfield agents were swarming the building. Daven was ushered into a room. We followed after him. It was dark inside the office and everything was a deep red color. Daven walked to the window and yank on the string to draw back the curtains. 

Blocking my eyes, I waited for them to adjust the bright light. 

"August was here," muttered Ranger.

I glanced up at my mate. 

"His scent is faint, but it's here."

Daven sighed and sat down behind the desk. "So close." Putting his feet up, he sunk down in his seat. "They knew we were coming as usual."

A man entered the room. "The servers were wiped here as well, Sir."

Cursing, Daven turned the seat to face the window. "Typical rogues. They know how to hide their tracks, I'll give them that."

"We're tracking all activity," said the man. "If anyone tries to contact them here, we'll be able to find them."

"Damn it." Standing, he punched the glass.

I yelped and covered my mouth. Cracks spread along the surface. Ranger pulled me into his side.

"No one that's stupid!" he snapped. "They know what they're doing. If they wiped the systems, why the hell wouldn't they not let their suppliers know they've changed locations?"

The man bowed his head. "Well do our best to repair the serves."

"He right, we just need to keep trying," stated Ranger.

"They know we're onto them," snapped Daven. "They're erasing everything. That filthy rogue is always a step ahead."

"We've made more progress in a few weeks than the past three years," stated my mate. "They're not going to let them get away."

Folding his arms, Daven glared at him. "My uncle nearly died, the last time Jet tried this. If something were to happen to Aden, more problems will follow." He bit on his nail. "It's embarrassing. The greatest pack in America can't even protect their own mates." His eyes landed on me. "Subs, everyone thinks they're the submissive partner. Just something pretty to look at, hell, you don't see us going to war over a dominant. They're the only ones with real power."

He took out his phone and walked out the door. The man followed him and started to explain their plan for the computer systems. 

Ranger sighed and sat down on a leather couch against the wall. 

I took the spot beside him. "West was here?"

My mate nodded. "He's gone now, though. It was smart to use a human detail shop. A werewolf one would have turned them in." He smiled at me. "If they're trying to blending in with the human world, it's going to be hard to find them."

Sucking in my lips, I nodded. "Can we look around?"

"What do you mean?"

"West lived here, right?"

Ranger nodded. 

"Let's find his room then and see if they're are any clues," I exclaimed, tugging on his hands.

My mate laughed. "Nothing is that easy, Shiloh."

"Please," I said with a pout. "Can we at least look?"