Chapter 5: Barely Above a Sub

Chapter 5

Barely Above a Sub

~Ranger

I drummed my finger along the desk as I shuffled through my reports. Nothing was standing out to me. Just one lead, that all I wanted, just one, so I could at least know I was going in the right direction.

The door cracked open, and Daven poked his head inside.

“Hey,” he stepped inside and leaned back against the door. “Find anything.”

“Every year it’s the same,” I muttered. “I can really expect someone to admit to having stolen pack members, but even the numbers are steady. Nothing seems off.”

Daven walked over and sat on the desk. He grabbed a bundle of papers and flipped through them. “Pack information is voluntary. Most of the member counts are lies even when we’re not dealing with rogues. No one wants to appear weak in today’s world.”

“How can I know which ones are wrong, though?” I muttered. “That’s the problems. If I could find just one pack that’s been working with this group, then I’d have somewhere to go.”

“Not possible,” Daven tossed the papers back on the stack. “Majority of these packs, we don’t have arrangements with. We can’t demand anything from them.”

“I know that.” I rubbed my forehead. “There has to be a way to tell. I just need to figure out how.”

With a sigh, Daven folded his arms and thought for a moment. “If a pack is trying to hide that they’re buying stolen werewolves, they’d keep the number lower. Try and hid it.” He glanced over at me. “Maybe see if there’s a pack who businesses requires more manpower than what they have listed there. It could lead you somewhere.” He stood and walked to the door. “Trevor also has the list of recent wolves that have gone missing. Locate one of them and it might help lead you to Shiloh and West.”

“Thanks.”

I heard the door shut and leaned back in my chair. “Good god,” I breathed. “This shouldn’t be so difficult.”

***

~Shiloh

The man, who pulled me into the bed, opened the back door to the van and helped me inside. He slammed it closed, before going to the passenger side door. The two other dominants were already seated.

I scooted up against the side and pulled me knees to my chest.

“What with you and the omega?” laughed the driver as he pulled the van out onto the icy roads. “You’re already mated.”

“Didn’t think you were into subs,” chuckled the one in the back seat.

“Ha, ha,” said the dominant dryly. “I think I’ll give him to my mate. She wants a helper for the house.”

“No alternative motives.” The driver nudged his arm.

“Maybe a few,” replied the man in the passenger seat. “He has beautiful fur. He’s one of those subs that the higher up packs mate. You guys need him to shift for you and then you’ll see.”

The two others laughed and teased him a bit more.

“To bad we can’t strike a deal with him then,” said the driver.

“Not if we want Wolfsbane to wiping us out,” stated the one in the back seat. “Better to just have him be your mate’s helper.” He glanced back at me. “I don’t think he’ll be much help on the farm, come Spring.”