Chapter 12: Midfield's Special Units

Chapter 12

Midfield’s Special Units

~Shiloh

I was scared. I didn’t know what to do. Human were unpredictable creatures. The truck backed into a garage. Remaining still, I heard the humans get out of the vehicle. The one sitting by my head, jumped over the side. The tailgate was dropped, and I quickly closed my eyes.

They dragged me to the end and carried across the room. Opening my eyes slightly, I saw the bars of a cage pass over my head. Once I was laid inside, the door was close and locked. I resisted the urge to sit up. I had to pretend to be asleep. For how long, I had no idea.

The cage was wheeled inside. It stopped in a hallway. The humans walked around me, more joining the three that brought me here.

“I need a blood sample,” said a man.

I tensed at the thought. My blood? I wasn’t a wolf, though; would they be able to tell?

“I’ll do it,”said Becca. She set a tray on the ground.

I kept my eye hooded as she reached through the bars and grabbed my paw. She pulled it close to the edge. I couldn’t help it, I started to whine as the needle approached.

“Shh…” she said softly. “You’ll barely feel a thing.” She quickly took the sample and wrapped the area. “There you go. Robert,” she called. “He’s waking up.”

“Shouldn’t be,” he muttered. “He should be sleeping for another hour.”

Becca shrugged. “Guess not.” Grabbing the tray, she stood and left through one of the doors along the hall.

“Hmmm…” Robert squatted down. “You are a bit bigger than the others, but not by much.”

Laying still, I kept my eyes down. This wasn’t going to work. Sooner or later they were going to figure out I was different.

***

~Ranger

I tapped my finger on the armrest. The car was parked down from the main house. Daven was listening to the radio as he flipped through his phone. This was the second time we sat on an abandoned road, waiting.

“Patience, Ranger,” he said. “Let my men do what they’re trained to. As soon as the area is clear, they’ll call.”

“It’s taking too long,” I muttered. “If we had done it my way, it would be over with already, and we’d know if Shiloh was here.”

“We’re trying to avoid casualties.”

“You’ll lend toxin guns to the rogues, but not pack wolves,” I retorted.

Daven sighed and sunk down in his chair. “The bullets are accounted for and were properly disposed. There will be no more guns.” He leaned over the steering wheel. “Not in my reign. Well leave the weapons to the humans.”

“Took a couple werewolves dying for Midfield to figure out they’re not gods.” I shook my head. “You just as flawed as every other pack.”

Daven sucked in his cheek. “I’m trying really hard to ignore your attitude. Since it is my men fighting for you right now.”

“Sorry.” Folding my arms, I stared out the window. “I heard you’re having another pup.”

Daven nodded. “So are Jagger and Raven.”