Chapter 3 Headquarters

Chapter 3

Headquarters

~West

The buzzer sounded, and I laid in my bed, groaning. I needed a couple more hours of sleep. My back was still sore from shoveling snow. At least it was getting warmer stead of colder. I rather do anything else than clear another sidewalk. I lifted myself out of bed, hearing my bone pop and crack. Swinging my legs off the edge, I sat up.

“This is worse than being Ranger’s errand boy,” I muttered, rubbing my neck as I rolled my head around. I stood, wiggling my toes against the cold floor. After a couple more stretches, I stood tall and put a smile on my face. Time to get Shiloh. I walked down the line and peeked around the brick wall that separated the middle rank from the subs. “Shil-”

My eyes grew wide as I saw two men standing by him. One grabbed his wrist and scanned his bands.

“No,” I ran over and pulled Shiloh away from him. “Leave him alone.” I tucked the scared sub behind me.

The two dominants looked me up and down, before stopping at my own identification band. The taller one looked to the other, who was holding a clipboard. “The middle rank?”

“Scan it,” replied the other.

“West,” whimpered Shiloh.

“Band,” said the dominant.

“Why?” I pushed back so Shiloh was safe between me and the wall.

“I don’t need a reason, now show me your wrist.” His eyes wandered to Shiloh.

I held out my hand and watched the man closely as he scanned it. He showed the information to the other and received a nod.

“That’s him.”

“You both need to come with me.”

Shiloh let out a soft cry, before covering his mouth.

I brought the boy under my arm and hugged him to my chest. “Why?”

“You’ve been bought and paid for boys. Where you’re going is no concern of mine.” He grabbed my arm and shoved me forward.

I quickly snatched Shiloh’s hand and brought him to my side. He tucked in close to me. I put my arm around his shoulder and followed behind the dominant with the clipboard. The other stayed right behind us. Fighting would only get Shiloh hurt. I wasn’t going to let them take him so easily though.

We were led to the loading dock where a small group had been gathered. Sub and lower ranks huddled together. We were added to the group. Everyone shared the same confused and scared expression.

Dominants stood around us, talking on their phones or looking over paperwork.

“West,” whispered Shy.

“It’s fine.” I rubbed his back. “We’ll be fine. Just stay next me, and I’ll take care of it.”

A delivery truck backed up to the loading dock.

“Load them!” yelled a man.

The dominants closed in and started directing us inside. A man scanned the band of each werewolf that passed and another check them off a list. I put my hands on Shiloh’s shoulder as we waited our turn. The boy was shaking. We both had been dreading this moment.

Shiloh stood in front of the man and held out his wrist. The man snatched it, drawing a gasp from the sub. He took Shiloh’s number and nodded for him to proceed. The sub didn’t move far from the door. I moved forward and offered my hand. The man scanned it.