Chapter 9: Part of the Pack

Chapter 9

Part of the Pack

~West

I stared at the board. They were far more white chess pieces than my black. I moved one sideways.

“No.” Lette moved it back. “You can only move in an “L” shape with the knight, remember.”

“What?” I exclaimed. “I’m positive you said that one goes sideways.”

The sub shook his head. “Nope. That’s the bishop. They move diagonally.” He picked one up from his pile and placed in it my hand.

Groaning, I rubbed my forehead. “This is so complicated. Checkers was easier.”

“We can play that again if you want?”

I shook my head. “No. You killed me at checkers too. I’m going to figure this out and beat you.”

Lette smiled. “You still want to play with me?” His grabbed his tail. “After today?”

“Sure,” I shrugged. “No one’s been going out of their way to be nice to me either, and I’m determined to win a game.” I started putting the pieces back in a line. “Let’s start over and you can tell me how this goes again.”

He reached over and fixed their positions. I put my pawns back on the board. I knew where those ones went at least. The door opened and I heard the guards mutter Boss. Lette froze and slowly lifted himself onto the couch behind him. I sat back as well and kept my head forward.

The alpha walked over. He cleared his throat. Lette jumped up and hurried to his side. I peeked over at them. The alpha ran his hand across the sub’s head and down his back. The white werewolf smiled up at Boss. He nearly smiled back, before gently pushing Lette behind him. His eyes flicked up to me.

“Is it done?” he asked in the same low graveling voice.

I froze. “What’s done?”

The alpha wandered over and sat down on the coffee table. He leaned over his knees, staring at me. I kept my head down.

“Let me see your hand.” He reached for it.

I rang my hands in my lap. “Why?”

“Now.”

I did so. He clutched my wrist firmly. He lifted his other hand, with a claw forming from his fingertip.

“No! No!” I struggled to get free and ended up on the ground.

“With my son’s enzymes freshly in you, the pain should be minimal.”

“It’s not, though,” I exclaimed. “It’s not in me.”

Boss’s eyes narrowed, and he stabbed his claw into my hand. I cried out as tears filled my eyes. It hurt. It hurt so bad it was hard to breathe. The alpha removed his claw a moment later and released me.

He stepped over me as I shook on the floor, gasping for air.

“Boss,” whispered Lette.

The alpha stopped and looked down at the sub. His ears splaying out to the side, Lette bowed his head. He took Boss’s hand and walked toward the door.

“Inform Keith,” the alpha ordered, looking back at me. “I will be checking again tomorrow.”

They left the room. The silence I hadn’t notice before disappeared as everyone went back to their games. I slowly pulled myself onto the couch and curled up by an arm rest. I licked the wound, but it won’t heal. It still felt like a hot poker was buried in my skin.