Forty

The hardest thing Lyra did was leaving her boyfriend's flat. He begged her to stay, and she wanted to, but she knew her mother would notice her absent and would come after her, probably with back up. She couldn't risk their lives.

She used the Floo Network to get back home. She felt this numbness in her bones. She felt so broken. The happiness was sucked from each room. The house looked so dark, so cold.

She suddenly heard her brother's cries, he was screaming out in agony. Her feet carried faster than ever before, she didn't know where she was going she just followed the sound of his voice, she pushed a random double-door open, banging against the wall. Her wand was out and she didn't even know what was happening, but her brother needed her and that was enough.

"Expelliarmus!" Lyra cried, Bellatrix's wand flew into her grasp. She was shaking as she held her Aunt's wand. She failed to notice Voldemort in the corner of the dark, oddly empty room, watching it all. Bellatrix was standing before Draco like a great shadow.

Draco was laying on the ground, his bones rattling. He had muscle spasms and he had vomit in a pile beside him. His muscles were still so tense. It was terrifying to see. It was like his whole body kept getting Charley horses.

Lyra didn't care. She ran to her brother's side. She cradled him in her arms and he was so disoriented, he accepted the comfort. She looked up at Bellatrix who was far from pleased to see her.

"How dare you touch him!" She screeched at her Aunt with rage burning in her eyes. She had never allowed herself to grow this angry towards a family member, but this bitch hurt her brother! "He's just a boy!" She softly caressed her brother's cheek, he looked paler than ever before. This was far from him trying to get attention as he'd do as a child. He was actually in agony and she was shaking with fear for his health and with fury.

She heard her Aunt's twisted laugh. She looked up at the witch. "You stupid girl. Draco needs training. He needs to know what it feels like to be hit with the Cruciatus Curse. His next challenge will be to cast it." She held her hand out for her wand, she gave her an expected look, but Lyra wasn't moving.

"Are you mad? He's not even sixteen yet! You could have damaged his brain! Look at him!" She looked down at her brother who was slowly coming to, his eyes now focused on his sister with confusion.

Lyra felt herself being pulled away from her brother by her hair, she let out a screech of pain. Long nails digging into her skull. Draco tried to sit up when he heard her, he weakly called her name. He tried to find his wand through a hazy mind and blurry eyes. Lyra was pulled to her feet. She felt Bellatrix yank back her wand. "Don't disrespect me again, girl. Or you'll end up just like poor Drakey." She said the last bit with a baby voice.

"Bella, let her go." They heard a weak voice intervene. At that, Lyra dropped to her knees, her hair no longer being in her grasp. "You will not harm Miss Malfoy in any way."

"Yes, Master." She bowed into submission, switching quick from the angry harpy.

Draco was finally able to see clearly, though his bones ached like never before, he could see his sister by Bellatrix. He didn't dare speak. But he found it embarrassing that she came to his aid, he wanted to be treated as a man. He is the one who needed to protect her.

"Lyra, leave us." She heard Voldemort order. "We shall meet in the evening." That made the blood in her veins run cold. She forced a weak nod and grabbed her wand and shot a look at Draco to make sure he was okay before leaving the room.

Her heart was hammering in her chest. She raced up the stairs. She ran to her bedroon to retrieve a money pouch. She rushed back to the fireplace. Her hair was wild with her untamed curls, she was still wearing the clothes from the night before. But that was far from a concern. And it seemed no one noticed the state she was in.