Fifty-Two

The few days of being at Andromeda's had been like a dream. Lyra would almost be the first up in the morning, so she spent an hour in bed reading before she smelled breakfast being cooked. She helped Andromeda in the garden, she did basic things: watering plants and weeding the gardens. But it was fun for her to actually get her hands dirty, however she did scream when she touched a worm and nearly had a panic attack. She was still learning how to be normal.

She still would cry at night, thinking of the family she left behind, it was dysfunctional, and unhealthy in many ways for Lyra, but that was still her family abd she loved them and felt homesick.

She had met her cousin Tonks, she reminded Lyra of Fred, and she was too outgoing for Lyra. She felt rather drained after interacting with her for too long, but Lyra liked her cousin nonetheless. She was nice Lyra, though at first she was guarded. She loosened up when George came over for dinner (Lupin was also there, looking rough around the edges but still very handsome). Lyra absorbed the conversation quietly and only spoke if anything was directed towards her. George knew she was actively listening and tried to incorporate her into it, but she was fine with watching them all interact.

Andromeda never lost her jolly smile, even when Tonks teased her. Ted would laugh heartily at all of Tonks jokes. Lyra would laugh the hardest when George piped up. He'd plant kisses on her head, enjoying being able to be openly affectionate. Lyra didn't want the night to end, but it did.

Now, she was standing in her best clothes in the corridor outside of the great hall with Alicia abd the rest of her graduation class. She was in her black robes and had in her pointy form-fitted hat. She felt so nervous and sad. This would be her last day as a student. Before it all started, Lyra and Alicia walked the halls alone, absorbing it all in. They shed a few tears. They were growing up and Lyra surprisingly was struggling with that fact.

She was valedictorian and had to give a speech. She was so nervous about messing that up.

Her mother and Draco didn't attend, that was to be expected, but it still hurt.

When they were instructed to come in, the frog choir sang a beautiful melody to symbolize their new phase in life. As they walked down the aisle, Lyra noticed her new family and George. He was in a nice suit and was smiling big at her. She got a thumbs up. She went to the first chair among them all and chewed on her lip as she took a seat.

All the faculty was there and a crowd of people stared up at her, making her feel super anxious. She noticed a few mother's crying and she ached to see her mother crying in those seats. But she wasn't.

Professor McGonagall was the first to make a speech. Lyra caught herself crying silently and Professor McGonagall had even shed a few tears, especially when she mentioned how Dumbledore would have loved to see this fine year graduate.

"Now, Miss Lyra Malfoy will be giving a speech as Valedictorian." McGonagall announced.

Lyra swore she heard George whoop. She saw him and his friends were on their feet, clapping the loudest. She blushed at the sight and she knew many parents would be confused on why a Weasley was cheering a Malfoy on.

"T-thank you, Professor McGonagall," Lyra started, glancing over at her warmly before looking at the hundred eyes on her. "Graduates, family members, and staff, it is an honor to be part of this celebration, the 1997 graduation ceremony at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is such a pleasure to share in the intensity of emotions filling this Great Hall as you who are graduating close this chapter of your life's story. I know some of you are excited that it's over, no more tests and no more detention and no more meeting Professor Snape's wrath." There was a giggle in the room, but definitely not from Snape. "Parents, you are probably wondering where the years have gone. As you marvel at your sons' and daughters' accomplishments, it doesn't seem that long ago when we were coming into this room for the first time, to sit on this stage and be sorted into our houses, where we'd meet our friends who would soon grow to feel like family. We've been through a lot, the challenges we faced go far passed tests. We've dealt with a murderer on the loose, coming to invade our school; we've dealt with the chamber of secrets opening up; we've witness tragedy countless times, but it wasn't all bad. As Professor Dumbledore once said, we must find light in the darkest of times and we have. We forged friendships we won't ever forget, we caused delightful trouble at the Yule Ball, we threw parties that were very responsible-" there was more laughter. "We met our first loves-" George whistled loudly. "We discovered who we are and what we want to represent. We grew up in these halls and we've changed many times, I hope we all continue to grow and to continue to make mistakes and learn from them. The learning here may end, but life is filled with lessons we are yet to uncover. Though school for us is done, don't ever stop learning. Ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power." Lyra let out a shaky breath.

When her speech was finished, she flinched at the clapping and let her weak legs carry her back to her seat. When the speeches were over, they were called one by one and was handed their diploma. Lyra smiled as she had her photo taken.

When it was official that she was officially free, she and the others threw their hats into the air.

When they rejoined their families and friends out into the halls, Lyra was engulfed first by Andromeda.

"That was such a beautiful speech!" She sobbed.

"Well said," Ted said from behind her.

George swooped in next to kiss her on the lips. "You did brilliant! You were so good up there! I don't know why you were nervous!"

"It wasn't too much?" She inquired.

"It was perfect, Love!"

He kissed her once more. She felt eyes on her as she pulled away. She looked over to see a loner. It was an old woman, she wasn't talking to anyone, but looking over at her with tears in her eyes. Lyra felt a coldness running down her spine. She wondered if that was her mother, but that was foolish, of course it wasn't. But as she smiled politely, the woman gave a wary smile as a tear fell from her eyes. Her eyes were filled with pride, and it was hard to not believe it was Narcissa.

Lyra turned back to her new family as George pulled her closer to his side. Fred came over complimenting Lyra's speech before giving her a hug. Lee came over to congratulate her.

Lyra couldn't stop thinking about the stranger, even that evening when there was a giant party thrown from one of the graduate's home. None of the Slytherins showed up besides Lyra and only a few Hufflepuffs were amiss. She got up from the stuffy room and went outside to the backyard. It was a spacious place in the countryside.

She took a seat on the bench and looked up at the stars, spotting the Lyra constellation. She leaned her head back and looked at the twinkling stars. As a child she used to think they were diamonds. She wasn't that silly anymore.

"There you are, Harp." She heard from the doorway. She looked over to see George joining her on the bench, smelling of skunk. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders.
A lot of friends came to party as well. Katie was inside doing shots with a Hufflepuff boy. Lyra looks down at the bottle of her beer. It tasted bitter but was better than nothing. "You don't seem so happy." He nudged her. "Talk to me."

"My family wasn't there." She said flatly. "I-I know Andromeda was there and you were, but not my mum or dad or brother. I always  imagined my dad would be there smiling in the crowd. He'd get to his feet to clap for me. He'd tell me he was so proud and my mother would praise me. Draco would say something smart and father would threaten him. It'd be cute, it'd be sweet. But it was... hollow. I love my new family. Andromeda is a dream. She's what I wished I had, but no matter how toxic or dangerous, they were still my mum and dad and I love them. It's complicated and painful but I love them and I had to leave because I wasn't happy. I had to choose between them and my antonomy. I never thought that was weird as a kid. I had to give up making choices to be a Malfoy. And I struggled to choose. I still struggle. I ask myself if I made the right choice. I know on paper it's clear, but that's still my family, that's still my parents who raised me. Who bought me a brand new piano for my ninth birthday. The same people who comforted me after falling off a pony. My father was a bastard but he read me a bedtime story and got me ready for bed when my mother was recovering from a miscarriage. It's not black and white. And that's what makes it so fucking hard."

"Just because they did good things, it doesn't outweigh the awful shit they put you through." George reminded her softly as he wipe a tear falling from her eye. "Lucius shattered your hand for talking to Gryffindors. He was going to force you to marry a fucking stranger! Your mother let that all happen. She is just as much to blame. She starved you, she belittled you. Don't you second guess yourself for a fucking second. Because none of that is forgivable. They are supposed to love you, to help you grow. They aren't meant to shatter your spirits. Lyra, they were evil. I can never forgive them for what they've done to you."

His eyes swam with tears. Lyra laid her head against her chest. He wrapped his arms around her.

They just clung to each other in solemn while everyone partied inside. Even though they were quiet, they rather be in each other's arms than inside.

I don't know if British schools have valedictorian speeches but I saw some of the universities do. Also I may have butchered the Dumbledore quote, don't @ me. Sorry for the long wait. I love your comments. You guys are very entertaining. I read every single one and love how much you guys are invested in Lyra and George. It warms my heart.