Twenty-Four

Lyra woke up one morning, it was her last day before going home for the holidays. She had her bags already packed and was excited and nervous to go back home. Lyra was glad that nothing spread around the school, but her happiness for that fell folly. She sat at breakfast and looked around, she didn't see George, Fred or any of the Weasleys to be frank.

She noticed everyone at the Gryffindor table looked solemn, especially Angelina who had Katie trying to comfort her. She looked over at Draco, he was a few seats from her. She peeked around the heads to see him snickering.

"Draco! What's happened?" She asked, trying to mask her concern.

He looked quite proud. "Mr. Weasley apparently almost died. Such a pity, they could have used the five knuts he's worth." His friends started to laugh along with him.

Lyra felt her face burn with anger. "What the hell is wrong with you?" She hissed viciously, almost mimicking their mother when she's angry. "What if they were laughing if our father almost died? You insensitive prick!"

"It's just a joke, lighten up, Lyra." He scoffed as if she killed his buzz.

"Such an awful thing to say." She muttered as she bit into her sausage in heavy thought.

Suddenly owls started to land in. She quickly looked up to see a cute small owl come excitedly towards her. She gasped as he was flying straight at her face. She dodged it only for it to hit Pansy right in the back of the head. She began swearing frantically as she didn't want to appear weak. The boys started laughing, which led her to pinch them.

Lyra saw the little guy on the table still fluttering about as if it didn't run into something. Lyra quick picked a spoon full of porridge and plopped it onto the table for it to eat excitedly. There was a small piece of parchment tied to it's ankle. She quickly unraveled it and glanced around for any on lookers.

Lyra,

I told you I'd give you her address, love. Xx

- George :)

Below his name was an address, just like he promised. Her chest heated up with joy. But then she felt sad. He sent this possibly before the news broke. She wished to send him a letter before she left home. Almost everything was monitored under the Malfoy roof.

She quickly finished breakfast and ran to the Slytherin common room. She sat at a desk and grabbed corked ink to write George a quick letter.

Dear George,

I appreciate it greatly. You are so sweet for doing this for me. I heard that your father got injured and I feel terrible. I really hope he recovers quickly and is well.

Love, Lyra xx

Was that too forward? Putting love? Perhaps she should get rid of it.... Was it too much commitment? Would he read too much into it? Before she spiralled, she quickly rolled it up and rushed to the owlery to send it off with Ellie. Her owl wasn't very happy to be send out, but did it anyways. Lyra gave her instructions to just go home and wait for her there. She seemed alright with that and flew off.

She kept his letter in her robe pocket, even as she climbed inside the train. She sat alone, Draco tugged her to sit with him as he noticed Higgs trying once again to speak to her. But she couldn't stand sitting with her little brother and his childish friends. It was also uncomfortable to watch Pansy hang off his arm and sneak kisses.

No, Lyra needed alone time. She found an empty carriage to think. She felt awful for George and she was also thinking about going home for Christmas. Her grandfather would be coming and the letters about him seemed to be that he is still... Not the same. He has many lame days and Lucius and Narcissa are thinking to have him live with them for awhile. She didn't want him living with them. She was sick of his comments. A week of him was enough for her. To see him all summer long didn't sound fun at all.