Chapter 4- Going Home

Daryl's POV

** 2 days later **

It's been two days and finally we can leave this creepy hospital... I'm getting tired of sleeping in chairs.. it's taking a toll on my back.

The nurse tells me I won't get much sleep for the next several months. I'm well aware of that, but as long as I'm sleeping in my bed I'll be fine.

They gave me some "parenting" books, but how hard can it be? I mean, food, diapers, a crip and some toys right?

I dont know but they insisted I take them.

A nurse comes in the room with a wheel chair for Debra.

I put Peyton in the little pink and polka dotted carrier I bought awhile back. I look down at my child and smile at the shirt she was wearing. It was pink with Camo and it said 'daddy's little girl' on it.

I set the carrier on the floor and crouch down next to it and brush Peyton's face with my finger.

I still can't believe that I made this little thing.. it's only been three days and she already has me wrapped around her little finger.

The nurse gets Debra situated in the wheelchair and gathers all her things.

I stand up and pick up the carrier and we start the walk to the first floor.

Once we reach the entrance to the hospital Debra gets out of the wheel chair and we start walking towards my truck

Every so often I would look down and smile at Peyton who slept peacefully in her carrier.

Once we arrive to my truck Debra gets in the front and slams the door shut.

I roll my eyes and open the back door.

I put the carrier/car seat thing in the middle and spend like 10 minutes trying to figure out where all the straps go.

"Hurry up!" I hear Debra yell from the front seat.

"Shut the hell up" I mumble and kiss Peyton's forehead and smile at her.

She moves a little but doesn't wake up.

I quietly shut the door and get in the drivers seat and drive to Macy's house to drop Debra off.

She claims she doesn't want to be up all night hearing the baby cry.

She refuses to call her Peyton because that's not the name she wanted.

She's so bipolar sometimes... I don't really want my daughter around her..

-----------*an hour later*-------------

I finally arrive home after dropping Debra off. She didn't even look at Peyton or acknowledge her the whole ride. But she says she wants her to stay with her this weekend.

Yeah that ain't gonna happen.

I unstrap Peyton from the car seat and pick her up.

She starts waking up and starts to cry and I hold her close to me.

"Shh baby it's ok" I whisper as I rock her.

I shut the door and grab the baby bag with diapers in it.

I take her inside and she's still crying.. i try to remember what the nurse told me... I know she's either hungry or needs her diaper changed.

I check her diaper and figure out she's probably hungry.

I place the tiny girl in the crib I had in the living room/kitchen.

I grab the formula stuff and figure out how to make it.

After I grab it from the microwave I squirt some on my arm.

"Shit!" I yell shaking the stuff off me.

"Yeah I'm sorry baby... Yer' gonna have to wait a minute." I say as Peyton starts crying louder.

I pick her up and start bouncing and rocking her trying to get her to calm down.

After 5 minutes I check the temperature again it's much cooler.

I sit down on the couch and feed my baby girl.

She stops crying almost instantly and closes her eyes as she drinks from the bottle.

When she finishes the bottle, I pick her up and take her to the room Merle and I fixed up for her.

Her crib is camo, of course. And so is a lot of her clothes..

I place her down in her crib and watch her sleep for a minute.

I smile, for the 50th time in the past 3 days.. that's probably more than I have in my entire lifetime.

-----------2 months later---------

It's been two months since my beautiful baby girl has been born.

Today my bosses wife Kathryn is watching Peyton while I'll go to run an errand.

Well it's not really an errand but still... I'm at the tattoo parlor.

"What do you want this time Daryl?" Mark, my buddy who does tattoos, asks

"A name" I reply smiling.

"What? You finally got a girlfriend or something? Tattooing their name.. that's a big step" he says lecturing me.

"No it ain't no girlfrien'... " I say getting more comfortable on the chair.

I roll up my sleeve and point to my wrist.

"Alright.. what is this name." He asks getting the tattoo gun ready.

"Peyton Nichole... then under it the date 6/9/98." I state while smiling.