Chapter 9

Daryl's POV

** 2 weeks before 5th birthday **

"Daddy daddy wake up!" I'm awoken by sudden movements in my bed and my daughter yelling and jumping on my back.

I groan and roll over, grabbing her little fragile arms and keep her from jumping on me. "How bout we just sleep all day" I says groaning, it was a long sleepless night last night.

"Come on daddy! Get up" she says cheerfully. I swear, this girl has unlimited energy.

"Pwease" she pouts as she lays her head on my chest. How can I say no to that? This little 3'11 girl has me wrapped around her little finger.

"Fine" i groan and sit up, holding Peyton to my chest as I stand up. Once I stand up I spin her around in circles and she laughs and squeals until I put her down.

"I'll be out in a second ok baby girl" I tell her and she nods and runs out of the room.

I brush my teeth and change clothes and all that other morning junk before walking in the living room to see Peyton holding a tiny piece of paper in her hand and studying it closely.

"Whatcha got there baby" I ask squatting down to her level before picking her up and sitting on the couch with her in my lap.

"Is this ye' daddy?" She asks innocently as she hands me the paper.

I then realize that it's a picture of Myself, Peyton, and Merle when Peyton was around 1.

I run my thumb over the picture, trying to ignore the feelings of hurt and betrayal from looking at Merle's face.

"Ya it is baby" I say, but it only comes out a whisper.

"Who's that" she says and points to Merle.

"Your uncle Merle" I say still holding the picture tightly.

"Is that me?" She asks cheerfully and I nod and put the picture in my pocket.

"Why don't I ever see Uncle Merle" she says turning around to face me.

I close my eyes shut tightly and let out a shaker breath before answering. "He left princess." I simply answer hugging my little girl as she lays her head on my chest.

"Daddy?" She asks after a couple moments.

"Ya?" I ask rubbing her back lightly.

"Do I have a grandpa?" She asks and I instantly tense up.

"Why?" I ask quickly and harsher than I had meant for.

"All the kids at daycare talk about their grandpas" she answers so innocently.

I sigh and hug her close before answering. "Yer grandpa is a mean man.. I don't want ye' around him"

"Was he mean to ya?" She asks sweetly.

Man this girl was smart for only being 4... Well she's practically 5 but whatever. My little girl is growing up way too fast for my liking, but man I wouldn't trade it for the world. She is the light in my dark world, she makes me happy after long stressful days at work. Just the way she's always happy and innocent about everything makes me laugh.

"Ya baby... very mean" I say and she hugs me tightly making me almost break down then and there. But I didn't, I don't cry, Dixons don't cry.

"What about my mommy?" She asks yet another questions.

"Yer full of questions today aren't ye'?" I ask sighing.

"Yer mommy is bad too sweety.. I'm sorry ye' got stuck with all these bad people" I answer, whispering the last part.