Chapter 34

Daryl's POV

The sound of gravel crunching under tires awakes me from my light sleep. I was on the couch and had only slept for 2 hours.

The hospital in Atlanta wouldn't let me see Peyton and made me go home. They said some virus was spreading and visiting hours were closed until it was fixed. No matter how hard I fought, security was stronger.

Loud bangs on my door cause me to jump. I didn't even check to see who it was as I flung the door open. "Wha'?!" I ask aggravated.

Merle stood at the door, tapping his foot and sweating nervously. "We need to go baby brotha... Pack some clothes and weapons and shit" he says rushed and runs into my kitchen, throwing bottle waters and canned food into a backpack.

"Wha' why?!" I ask confused following him.

"I'll explain on the way just pack yer shit!" He yells louder.

I let out an aggravated sigh and rush to my room, packing clothes, boots, and my crossbow, along with a few pistols.

I zip up the bag and run out to Merles truck and throw the bag in the bed of the truck. I notice an orange tent sitting in the back.

Merle comes rushing out of the house and jumps in the drivers seat of the truck. I follow, getting in the passengers seat.

"Ok wha' the hell is goin' on" I yell annoyed.

"Tha' disease they been talkin' about is here in Georgia. It's makin people turn into zombies" he tells me, driving fast down the dirt road.

"I don' believe tha'" I say unconvinced.

"I didn' either till I saw the neighbor eatin' Alyssa" Merle sighs.

"Damn" was all I could say. "Sorry bro"

"It's cool, we jus' need to get outta here, maybe wait in the woods or sumthin' till its over with" he suggests.

"Wait... wh-what about Peyton?!" I ask panicked.

Merle slams on the breaks and does a fast U-turn, heading back into Atlanta.

After about 30 minutes we reach the hospital to find people running and screaming away from it.

"Stay 'ere.. I'll be back" Merle says and opens the truck door.

"Wait I'm goin' with" I say but he stops me.

"Stay" he growls and I nod, shutting my door and sitting back.

I bounce my leg nervously and impatiently wait for Merles returns.

It takes him about 15 minutes to return and my heart sinks to my chest when he comes out alone, with a sad expression on his face.

"Wh-where is she?" I ask, sadness evident in my voice.

Merle shuts the truck door and stares at the steering wheel, his sad expression now replaced with emptiness. "Dead" was all he said before starting the truck.

"Wh-what?! No... no no no ... stop .. I'm not leavin' her! I need to see her!!" I yell, tears filling my eyes.

"The doctor said she didn't make the trip" he says blankly.

"Let me out of the truck" I yell as Merle starts to drive off.

"No! Stop! Please... please I gotta see her... let me out" I beg, my voice cracking as I finally give up. My little girl is gone.

My whole world, my everything.

Gone.

My baby, Peyton Nichole Dixon... I never even got to tell her goodbye.

Six years was not enough. Parents aren't supposed to out live their kids. She didn't deserve that! She was such a good little girl and died such a nasty way.

That just shows you how fucking cruel this world is. How cruel and sick some people are.

A few tears shed from my eyes. I refuse to cry in front of my brother.

I flip my arm over and rub my thumb over Peyton's name that's tattooed on my wrist. It's red ink stays there permanently. Always a reminder of what I used to have, the happiness, the hurt.

The pain I feel right now is worse than any beating my father ever gave. I would take that over this any day. I feel like I've been hit by a semi.. to the heart.

God what I wouldn't give to take back ever calling Ashley. I would do anything to save Peyton or just at least hold her one more time.

My little girl is gone

======================

A/n: ok Sooo that is the end of this book! :(

Just kidding! There will be a sequel posted soon!! Probably tonight! It's going to be called 'protecting my little girl' !!

Before we get into the questions I just want to thank each and everyone of you for making this story what it has become! All the comments,votes, and reads!! This story is at 22k right now and that is soooo amazing! I can only hope the sequel will be just as successful!!

Ok so here are the last questions for my little girl :,(

1.) Any tears shed from Daryl's reaction?! ((I almost did writing it))

2.) Is Peyton really gone?

3.) Is this the end of Debra and Ashley?

4.) On a scale of 1-10... how would you rate this story?

5.) Whose ready for some walkers?!

Thank you guys so much again and you all are the best readers anyone could ask for! Hope to see you all on the sequel!

~xoxo~