Chapter 17

Daryl's POV

I stand leaning up against the kitchen counter; in one hand holding my phone nervously; the other twiddling with the receipt from the diner with Ashley's number scribbled on it. I debate on whether or not to call her. Do I really need this right now? But who said it was that? She could just want to be friends. I stare back at the number and then to my phone. I slowly type in the first 3 digits

Pause.

Next three.

Ok.. Four more to go.

Slowly I type in the next for numbers and sigh nervously before hitting the green call button.

It rang three times, 3 nerve racking times before the sweet familiar voice answered the phone. "Hello?" She answered; her sweet voice like honey.

"Hey.. Um.. this is uh.. daryl.. from the uh um the diner?" I stutter.. Why does this girl make me so nervous.

"Oh yeah.. hey!" She says; her voice happily and cheery.

"Hi" I whisper

She giggles a little "what's up?"

"Um.. nothin really... I was uh.. W-wandering if ye' um wanted to maybe possibly come over tomorrow. My uh brother... he's havin' a party here... I mean if ye' want to.. um but uh it's-" I tell her but start rambling out of nervousness before she cuts me off.

"I would love to" she answers confidently. Why can't I just be confident for once? Oh maybe it's just cause my dad beat me and my brother tells me no one will ever care about me except him and Peyton.. that might be it.

"Uh really?" I ask; kinda in shock.

"Yea as long as you stay with me.. you're probably the only person I'll sorta know" her sweet voice says.

"Ok um ya.. 'course... see Ya then?"

"Yep" she answers with sass; popping the 'p'

==========================
still Daryl POV
((**the next day**))

I wait nervously as the time nears to 6:30... the time of the party.

Half of me expects Ashley to ditch; I mean everyone else has so why would this be any different.

A couple of the people here have children Peyton's age so they brought them. "Daddy?" Peyton calls grabbing my hand and gently tugging it.

"Wha'?" I ask; looking down at the little brown haired girl that looks just like me.

"The pretty lady from the diner is here!" She exclaims and points towards the door where Ashley stands; dressed in a black Jack Daniels tank top followed by bright pink shorts that reach her mid thigh; showing off her tone tanned killer legs. She has glasses covering her green eyes and sandals on.
I only have one word.

"Damn" I mutter under my breath and quickly realize I was gawking at her. My cheeks flush red and I look away and start chewing on my thumbnail.

"Go play" i instruct Peyton and she nods and runs off; finding some kids to play with.

I take a deep breath and walk up to Ashley who was standing awkwardly at the door.

"Hey" I say; startling her slightly and her cheeks turn a light cute shade of pink.

"Hi" she answers shyly and puts her sunglasses on top of her head; revealing the beautiful green eyes I remember staring into at the Diner.

"Wanna meet people?" I ask; mentally slapping myself for how dumb that probably sounded. If she thought it was dumb she clearly ignored it, for she nodded her head and she answers with a shy 'yes'