19

JONATHAN
3:07 PM - WEDNESDAY

The chime of the bell rang softly around the cafe. I stared down at my watch and sighed. This will either end successful, or bloody. Although considering the plan, it could very well be both.

Behind me, a chair screeched across the floor. I stared at Ximena through the reflection on the glass window. Eight had pulled a seat next to her, his shoulders hunching over and betraying the fact he wasn't supposed to be here. Ximena slid a coffee over to him and he took it. I could barely make out facial expressions, which meant I'd have to rely fully on tone.

"You came," Ximena said uselessly.

"I told you I would," he responded. "Are you badly hurt?" I put a hand over my mouth upon hearing the deep concern in his voice. Ronald Bring has a goddamn heart. I'll be damned.

"No," she half-whispered. "Just a few bruises here and there."

"I take it your reunion with Nicolas Alfonsi didn't go as you planned."

Despite the lack of visibility through the reflection, I could feel the intensity of Ximena's stare on me. So, he was more than a pawn.

"No," she said even softer, genuine dejection in her tone.

He put a hand on hers. "I'm sorry. I know helping him meant a lot to you. Did you at least manage to expose his sister to him?"

I shifted in my seat. Expose Veronica?

She scoffed. "Everything they say about the Alfonsi twins is true. They are too hard-headed. As soon as he detected that I disliked her, he didn't let me get a single word in about her. I gave up, afraid he'd kill me if I tried."

He hummed in response, staying quiet for a moment. "Did they get any information out of you?"

Just as we had ordered, she denied. "I wouldn't speak up. You know that."

"Good," he said, his voice tight. "You know how I feel about you, Ximena. But you also know I wouldn't be able to save you if you betrayed us."

Ximena nodded weakly. "Yeah."

Another moment of silence ensued. I checked my watch. 3:11:06 PM.

"Ron?"

My head shot up. I stared at her through the reflection.

"I'm so sorry."

That bitch.

Ronald sat straighter. "For what?"

Ximena looked in my direction again. Her eyes locked with mine as she spoke. "For using you."

"What are you talking about?"

I gripped my switchblade. As subtly as I could, I took out my cell phone and speed-dialed Anastasia.

Ximena sighed. "You should get out of here. It's not safe."

Eight stood up, nearly knocking the chair over. "Then let's go."

"Hello?" Anastasia spoke.

"She betrayed us. Get here quick!" I hung up.

I turned around slowly, just as Ximena pointed an arm at me. Ronald's head turned in my direction, his eyes widening. "They made me do it. I didn't want to--"

A deafening thunder shook the ground. I dropped to the ground immediately, covering my ears. The time on my watch confirmed the situation. 3:12 PM. Yet, I still turned to look out the window. A dark cloud of dust and smoke rose above the buildings. Civilians began screaming and running everywhere around the streets. The shrill of car horns furthered the chaos, distracting me for a second too long.