7

Nicolas

I would definitely join forces with an Alfonsi. Phantom. Phantom.

That woman called me Phantom. She knows who I am.

"Would you stop?" I snapped at Anastasia, the edge in my voice making her stop and turn to me, her jaw clenched as she cocked her head at me. A silent challenge in her eyes. "You're driving me crazy."

We were all waiting in the hallway of a rundown building that we use as an off-the-books location. It was hidden, deserted and perfect for when you want to keep someone without worrying they'll be found. So we waited impatiently as Elijah restrained the so-called Ximena. It struck a nerve in me that her presence made me feel uneasy. I kept asking myself why she knew me. How she knew me. I didn't like the mystery behind. I didn't like the feeling of not being under control. I kept doubting my memory. Did I know her? 

Anastasia narrowed her eyes as she stalked over to me. Her face expressing nothing short of menace. "She knows who you are."

No shit.

I curled my lip, turning my eyes away from her. "Gee, Sia. You've caught me. I've been working with her all along."

As if realizing how she came off, she took a step back, eyes apologetic. "That's not... I just don't understand why she knows your name."

I shrugged it off, despite being more confused myself. "My parents? They were huge when they were alive. Pretty influential. Maybe that's how." 

That could actually be an answer. It would explain how they knew of me. It made sense. But it didn't satisfy me. I'm not a person that deals well with anxiety. 

"We were taught about all of you," Devina spoke up. It was obvious that she was Rayaan's sister. They were like two drops of water. In appearance and personality. And it sucked balls that I was doubting them both in this moment. "We had these lessons as part of our training where they fed us information on every important gang leader and other important mafia-affiliates."

"Why can't you give us the information," Anastasia said. "Why do we have to depend on her? If you were there why can't you save us the trouble of having to turn to her."

"Because I know she'll help you. She wasn't in the NCH because she believed in the cause. She thought it was a waste of time and unnecessary murder of a bunch of irrelevant people. She was there because of an ulterior motive. She hated Mussolini as much as she hates everyone in the Bianchi family."

I raised an eyebrow, "did you believe in the cause, then?"

"That's not what I'm saying," Devina said harshly. "She has more information and on top of that a motive for helping you. She hates Bianchi's, but if you play the right cards, she'll be willing."

I stared at her blankly.

Devina sighed, "there is a ranking order in the NCH. The higher your number is, the more you know. I'm a Three. I know only a little more than basics. I know about you, I know about who's allied with who and who's against who. I follow orders and get sent on errands. Ximena is a Six. She's higher on the scale. Her knowledge of their ways and their motives goes deeper than mine. She can give you more valuable information."

"How does the ranking work?" Rayaan asked. He had been avoiding my eyes. Avoiding me. "Who's at the head?"

"Technically speaking, Onnipotente is at the head. He's a descendant of the original Nine Circles. After Onnipotente goes Nine. I have never seen Nine and don't know who they are. The only one who has seen Nine is Onnipotente and Eight. Nine is the one who is sent to get the most important ones. He took care of Barbara Schweihs and he'll be the one sent to take care of Anastasia. I know that much."