40

The factory was empty. Well, we emptied it. Team White entered and took out all the guards as they started their new rotations. It took no longer than a few hours of watching to realize they rotated every three hours at every corner of the building and the entrance gate. We only needed the element of surprise until all our teams were through the doors of the factory. 

I tried not to look down as we climbed the towers surrounding the factory. Mine was a water tower. Every time I pulled myself higher up one step on the ladder, my arms trembled. Heights had never been a problem for me. But looking down, it wasn't hard to imagine falling and cracking like an egg.

But there wasn't enough time to be scared or imagine death. We need to get this done as quickly and seamlessly as possible. Quick and bloody.

I set up my rifle on the gaps between the railing, sitting on my knees for some comfort. There wasn't nearly enough space in this dreaded tower for me to lay down. I scanned the area with my visor as I waited for my partner to set up his weapon, making sure we didn't miss any targets and the space was clear for the other teams to enter. I picked up my walkie upon getting the nod of confirmation from my partner. Carlos, I think he said his name was.

"South Tower 2 active," I reported. "Confirm."

"Roger. North Tower 2 active."

"Roger. We're active at East Tower 1."

"Roger. Same for East Tower 2."

"South Tower 1 active." A pause. "And Roger."

"Active at West Tower 2."

"Us, too, at W.T. 1," came Nicolas' voice. 

I waited a moment, continuing my scan of the area, then picked up my walkie again. "North Tower 1, report."

Nothing. I shifted the gun to allow me view of the south towers, but then the voice came.

"Sorry," came Devina's voice, laced with a lilt of amusement. "Diego tripped over a step and got held back. North Tower 1 active."

"Diego?" I said through the walkie. "Are you alright?"

It took a moment before he answered. "A-okay, Boss. Just missed a step. All good here."

"Then I'll send the confirmation over to Mateo."

I pressed the button on my earpiece. "All towers active. We're ready."

His reply came but a second later and, from the tone of his voice, I could sense the twisted excitement. "Red and Blue, advance to your positions. White, provide cover."

Every tower had an assigned area to monitor. Carlos and I were South Tower 2, meaning we monitored the second half of the south side perimeter of the factory. South Tower 1 the first half and so on for the other towers. It included the actual factory roof as well, where we'd provide cover for the Red and Blue teams that will emerge from above the building, cutting access to any enemies on the upper floors.

"Red going in," Gabriel's voice informed. Since there was no possibility of him infiltrating the security system established in the factory, being that there wasn't one, he volunteered to take charge of the Red team. No one knows surveillance like him and Red is tasked with weeding out the ones that try to hide in the shadows. 

"Blue going in as well," came the voice of, Arturo Perez, leader of the Venezuelan organization.

As both teams entered the grounds, Carlos and I kept our eyes on our area. The factory had very little windows. Both teams would enter by climbing through the walls. I watched as Blue teams climbed through my side, shooting their hooks until they clung to the edge of the roof and began their climb. About three could climb at a time. In the event that someone sees them or walks out, we are to shoot them down.