42

We step into the house like robots moving on autopilot. It's been a hell of a day and the only thought on my mind involves my pillow and the bedsheets. I have to put forth all my mental power to force my body to make it up the stairs. Or else I'll fall asleep, right here, on the entrance.

Nicolas keeps his hand on my lower back as we both make our way up the stairs. I can almost feel my stomach caving in on itself from hunger, but between making something to eat and closing my eyes, there is no debate. 

Our room is dark and neither of us bothers to turn on the lights. Nicolas moves to his side of the bed and we both undress wordlessly, the room silent aside from our occasional sighs of exhaustion. That, and my stomach growling.

"You hungry?" Nick looks over at me. It's almost pitch dark in the room, but I can make out the way his head turn to me. 

I plop down on the bed and lift my hips to pull the covers from under me. "I'm fine."

He lays right next to me. "I can make us a sandwich."

I almost laugh at the way he says it. Like he partially wants me to say no.

I turn to him and place a hand on his cheek, "I just want to sleep."

His eyes close and he sighs. "Yeah. Alright."

My eyes close on their own accord and sleep is so close. I can feel it in my head. My thoughts drifting into a void as I give in to the exhaustion. Tomorrow will be another day. Tomorrow I'll worry about what I didn't get done today. Tomorrow...

Knock, knock, knock.

I groan, flipping onto my back. "What?"

"Boss," the guard says from behind the door. "We have, um...a situation."

I can hear Nicolas lightly snoring beside me and jealousy gives me the urge to shoot the guard for taking that away from me. "What situation?" My words come with an edge that most likely communicated that urge to him.

"Your sister," he says and my ears perk. "She came to the gates of the house. Our guards are escorting her here right now."

I sit up, my back rigid. I don't move. And my mind is blank for a single second. A single second before it explodes with thoughts and I'm rushing for a robe and yanking open the door. "What did you say?"

The guard blinks down at me before repeating, "your sister came to—"

"I heard you moron," I huff. "How do you know it's her?"

He swallows hard. "Well, she looks exactly like her, for one. And she has a bandaged hand. That's what the gate guards reported."

My heart is pounding hard, so hard. I can't think straight. My mind is hazy and chaotic all at once. The exhaustion I felt a moment ago is a faint feeling, pricking at the edges of my mind, at the tips of my fingers and the nerves on my legs. But a shot of adrenaline has begun to course through my body and before I can dwell too much on the disorientation I feel, my mouth is moving.

"Call the doc and have him get down here immediately," I order. "And send groups of three men in all directions. If someone dropped her here, we need to know. Or if she escaped, they might be looking. Get this place under lockdown. Now."

"Yes, ma'am."

As soon as he's gone, I take a deep breath. It makes my chest ache, but I do it again and again.

"Sia?" Nicolas mumbles from the bed.

I flip the switch and the room comes alive with light. Nicolas groans, shielding his eyes with his forearm as he pushes himself to a sitting position. "Is it time to get up already?"