27

The ringing of my phone woke me up the next morning. I unhooked Nicolas's arm from around my waist and sat up to answer. It would've been nice to curse out whoever woke me up, but I barely had any energy left. The little amount I had was allotted to hoping it was Mateo on the other line. Only, of course, to be disappointed.

"Nick didn't answer the phone," Gabriel told me. Sounds of car horns and floating chatter let me know he was outside. "Bastard always has it on silent. Whatever. I'm on my way to the villa. Have you heard from Mateo?"

"Are you coming for breakfast?"

"Yep. Vee is driving us there."

"Alright," I sighed, rubbing a hand on my face. "I'll tell Sienna to add plates for the both of you. And, no, I haven't heard from Mateo at all. He should be back for the party, though."

From afar, I could hear Veronica scream a string of curses at some driver and the sound of a car horn repeatedly going off. Gabriel waited for it to be quiet enough before speaking again. "You know Mat," he coaxed. "He wouldn't miss a party. And he's too stubborn to lose against the baguette people."

I laughed through my nose. "Yeah. Right. I'll see you in a little while, then."

"Bye, Tas."

I checked the time on my phone and decided I had time for a ten-minute nap. I snuggled into Nick again, his body pulling me close even in his sleep, and dozed off.

Kisses peppered over my cheek and neck awoke me. I turned, my eyes meeting with Nick, who smiled at me like a child. "Hey," he whispered, kissing me again. "It's time to get ready, my Sia."

I pouted at him, my chest feeling warm. Somehow, no matter what we were facing, Nicolas Alfonsi always managed to blow my stresses away. I could hardly think about war or death when his face was so close. "I don't get to know what the party is about?"

"Maybe," he kissed the base of my throat, "I'll tell you if you ask nicely."

"Hmm. And what does 'nicely' entail?"

I felt his grin on my collarbone, "I'll show you in the shower." With a mischievous glint in his eyes, he walked away, disappearing into the bathroom. I heard the drizzling of the shower seconds later.

The smile that curled my lips reached so deep within me that at that moment I could have simply been Anastasia Bianchi, the woman who loves Nicolas Alfonsi. Just that and it would have been everything.

**

Gabriel leaned on the kitchen counter, tapping his foot as he watched us walk down the stairs. Nick held my hand, afraid I'd trip on the wedged sandals I wore. Beautiful but deadly, just like you, my love, he'd told me. The dress, however, he approved of. It was loose and short, reaching up to my mid-thigh, with a neckline that covered most of my chest. White embroidered flowers decorated the lavender lace, making it look less simple. Nicolas had said it reminded him of summer and the beach.

"You look gorgeous, Tas," Gabriel smiled tight-lipped, "love the up-do. Really. Super chic. But don't you think two hours is overdoing it? I'm starving."

I laughed, "you could have eaten without us."

"Totally man," Nick smirked. "We already had our breakfast."

The heat rushed to my cheeks too fast and Gabriel snorted upon noticing. I elbowed Nick in the stomach and he bent over, just as Vee walked in with a piece of bread in her hand and a disgusted look on her face. "No one, you big moron, had to know that."

I walked ahead, moving toward Vee. "Love the pantsuit," I complimented. "And the headband."

She did a curtsey, "I try."