61

The forest looks nearly the same as the last time I was here. Grass has grown over the spot where the explosions once were set off. I hate it. The reminder of the last time I was here makes my stomach churn. The circle of trees that leaves enough space for a face-off, like it was destined for those moments where we kill each other with no mercy.

"Everyone in position," Diego's voice comes from the earpiece. I step into the circle, looking around for anyone who might be visible. All around this place my men are hidden. Up in trees, by bushes, waiting for the moment in which we commence the final attack.

Tonight Santino Mussolini will die.

"Approved," I relay back. "I'm going offline now. All groups standby for the signal."

"Roger."

I walk back to my spot and remove the earpiece, letting it fall to the ground. My foot comes over to crush it and I kick a pile of dirt on top to hide the evidence. It's been three hours since sundown. Santino hasn't shown up, but he will.

The moon looks like a glowing pearl in the dark sky. I'm reminded of my father for some reason and a smile comes to my lips. Dad... Oh, he'd kill me if he knew what I was doing now.

How could I ever give you up, Dad? 

How could I not offer my life for you, Nicolas, when being without you is worse than being dead?

I am the last pawn in my own game.

I left my family at the villa, guarded by a dozen men all ordered to die before letting anyone get to them. I wonder what they would do if they knew what I was going to do right now? A smile comes to my lips. They'd worry because they love me. Gosh, I love them with everything I have. They're one thing I would never allow anyone to hurt. Ever.

"Hey."

I tear my gaze away from the moon and focus on Veronica. Her blue eyes are the bluest thing in the world. They shine brighter than the moon when they're glassy with tears.

"We just...wait now."

I nod, turning back to stare at the open space in front of us. No one in front of us, behind us only Rayaan and Jonathan and the car we came in. Devina, despite my efforts to get her to stay, insisted on coming. Somewhere in the trees, she's hidden with my sister. My eyes unconsciously move to that spot. They're invisible. 

"Hiding in the shadows, when we killed Donatello Lombardi—did you do it because he would recognize you?"

Veronica's breath hitches and silence hangs between us. I keep my eyes forward, watching the wind sway the branches back and forth. It's been twenty minutes since we got here.

"I'm sure he knew I was there," she answers, looking ahead as well. "I stayed hidden because...well, because I was afraid to face him. Of the guilt that would eat me up if I looked him in the face knowing what happened."

I gulp and it tastes bitter, like every time I have a conversation with Veronica since she confessed. "That makes sense. I would have done the same."

She snorts. "No, you wouldn't have."

No, I wouldn't.

"So, why are you here now? I gave you the option to stay behind. What makes you want to leave the shadows now? The fact that I know?"

"No. I'm just...tired. Sick. Exhausted. Lombardi died and carried that secret to the grave, but the entire time I wished he'd shout what I did and expose me. Anything to keep me from doing it myself. I look at myself in the mirror and can only laugh at how pathetic I am. It's just one more pathetic attempt at making up for what I did. Being here for him. Even if it's too late."