[31]

From the second Sophie woke up, chaos consumed her day.

She stepped out into the hall, still in her pajamas, a off white-pink silk robe and matching slippers.

The second her slippered foot stepped outside, she had wished she'd stayed in her room.

Despite all of the preparations leading up to today, there was still much to be done. Maids and butlers buzzed up and down the halls, straightening paintings, making sure every flower was in place.

When a hand was placed on the shoulder, she jumped so hard she nearly fell over.

She turned around and found Fitz towering over her. "You scared me!" She yelled.

"I'm sorry. I just had to see you," he laughed.

"I thought it was bad luck to see the bride before the wedding,"

"Technically, yes. But that's for when the bride is ready for the wedding. But don't get me wrong, pajamas still bring out your beauty,"

She looked away.

Fitz's face was filled with surprise when she didn't blush. "Are you okay?"

"No." Her voice was barely a whisper. "I mean, I'm just nervous," she laughed and smiled to hide her sadness.

Somehow it worked. "Don't be nervous, pretend it's just you and me, like when we went out that night,"

"After 'that night', I got dragged back to my home,"

"This is your home now," His hands slid into Sophie's and her cheeks finally started to heat up.

She looked up into his eyes, only her face more red.

His eyes bored back into hers. His head started to lean forward.

Just before his lips could make contact with hers, she pressed her hand to his lips and turned her head.

"Wait for tonight," she sighed. "I'll see you in a while,"

She walked off to get some breakfast, leaving Fitz standing alone.

The awkward part about Sophie's encounter with Fitz was that she had forgotten to get ready for the day.

As she tried to sneak back into her room, she was praying that Fitz had left.

She took a few careful steps, approaching the corner of the wall and peering around the corner.

When she didn't see Fitz, she smiled. Good job Sophie, avoid more awkward situations until tonight.

She clenched her fist in victory.

"What are you doing?" A voice asked behind her.

She literally jumped with surprise. She spun around and met a man with blonde hair and I ice-blue eyes.

"Keefe?" She asked after a second of examining him. "You look different. Your hair, your face,"

"Well I haven't the faintest idea if I should take that as a compliment or insult, but no. I am not Keefe. I am his father,"

Sophie's eyes went wide. It was in that moment that she realized something far more important.

"You're the one who dueled me," She took a cautious step backwards.

"That's true," He said in a calm voice. He picked lint off of his navy blue jerkin. "I warned you that you were going against a king. But I must also apologize. I had no idea I was going up against a woman,"