Preparing for War

"Ugh!" Sophie grunted as she blocked a bo staff from hitting her with her own weapon.

Between classes and numerous encounters with other royals, Sophie had been training with the royal guard.

She could rely on her abilities, but the last time she did that, she fainted and was out for a week.

Attempting to push the guard off of her, she panted and looked around for help.

Her eyes locked with a pair of teal ones.

During her moment of distraction, her opponent knocked her off her balance and she fell onto the dusty floor, giving her a nice bruise or ten on her legs.

The guards trained outside in a courtyard everyday, and Sophie had asked Dex to put her in the program.

The only thing she didn't like was her training outfit. Thick black boots, shorts that seemed a little too short and a fitted shirt.

She felt very exposed.

"I'm terribly sorry, Princess." Her opponent apologized, offering her his hand and helping her to her feet.

"It's quite alright," she smiled, making the mans cheeks go red. "I have to learn some way. Rematch?"

The boy and group around them was shocked. She had been bruised and still persisted.

"If you wish."

And so, Sophie was knocked onto the ground, time and time again.

Her knees and calves were now thoroughly injured, small drops of blood running down.

She got back on her feet right as he charged at her.

Lunging to the side, she barely missed his attack. Her small celebration was quickly ended when he turned and grabbed his staff again.

Instead of avoiding her, he ran straight for her and at the last second, jumped to the side.

He meant to confuse Sophie, but she was smarter.

As he attempted to attack her from behind, she grabbed him weapon, ripping it out of his hands and throwing it to the ground.

Sophie swiped her leg across the ground, tripping the man.

She pointed her own stick at his throat as he lay on his back, on the ground.

Finally, she won.

Beads of sweat dripped down her neck as she helped him up and apologized.

She turned her head towards the teal eyes she saw earlier.

The entire Vacker family stared back.

"Y-your Majesties!" Sophie sprinted towards them and bowed.

She crossed her arms across her chest, somehow feeling even more exposed.

Fitz took off his waist length cape and wrapped it around her shoulders, pinning it closed with the Vacker crest.

"Thank you." She mumbled.