Chapter 39

As soon as I land, I run to the bathroom to throw up from the nausea of going into the in between without a tether.

He sent me back to the Pack House.

No!

No, no, no!

He never intended on me going into the building with him.

I run out of the room, coughing up blood as I do so.

A pair of hands grabs me by the shoulders.

It's the Delta of Crimson Shadow, Shane.

"Shane," I say in surprise.

"How... How did you know who I am?" he asks in confusion. "Alpha Killian said that you're blind, and we've never met before."

"Shane, please, I have to go to Killian. I have to-"

"Don't worry, Katrina," Shane says calmly. "Alpha Killian will be right back. He told me to make sure you don't go anywhere."

No! He knew I would leave his house again, and sent Shane here to make sure that I didn't.

"Please," I beg frantically. "I have to go to Killian. He's in trouble. I have to go find him before-"

"Everything is okay, Katrina," Shane says softly, like he's talking to a wild animal. "Alpha Killian will be back as soon as he can. Everything is fine."

"No, Shane, please listen," I plead desperately. "Killian is in trouble. I have to get to him now! Ple-"

I start coughing up blood, gasping for air. Weak, I'm too weak with my death so near.

"Katrina, Alpha Killian told me that you aren't feeling well," he says, sounding heartbroken. "You're delirious."

I keep coughing, and my nose starts bleeding. "P-Please," I gasp.

"You have to go to bed," Shane says gently. "Alpha Killian ordered me to make sure you get some rest."

"No!" I cry, and try to get out of his grip, but he's too strong.

He gently picks me up, like I'm made of glass.

"Shane, please," I sob hysterically. He doesn't understand that something is wrong, that they're all in trouble, that we're waiting for someone that will never come back.

"I'm sorry, Katrina," he says softly, ignoring me beating against his chest. "I'm sure you're scared right now, you're not well. Get some rest, okay? The Alpha will be back soon to take care of you."

He gently puts me down on the bed, and I frantically kick and claw at him, drawing his blood while I sob hysterically.

Killian is in trouble; I have to get to him. It's all I can think about.

Shane holds both of my wrists with one of his hands. "Katrina, please stop," he begs. "I promise everything is okay. Alpha Killian will be here soon. I'm going to be in trouble if he sees you like this."

I stop struggling, but I still weep.

"Will you please just stay in bed if I let you go?" Shane pleads. "I'm going to be in so much trouble."

Trying to calm myself down, I gulp air down until tears stop streaming from my face.

"C-Can I have some water?" I choke out. "My throat hurts."

Shane exhales, relieved by my tranquility. "Yes, of course."

He releases my wrists, and turns around to go get water.