Chapter 50

The Blood Luna stands, her cloaked frame turned away from us as she gazes down at Blood Lake.

Exactly where I knew she'd be.

Recruiting Akoni and Dorian was easy, but this would likely be much harder.

There's no way she agrees to help, Killian mindlinks me, looking at Ares Alstott. I may or may not have threatened to send her pup to an isolated island to starve to death.

I raise an eyebrow at him.

Okay, I did. He grins shamelessly.

I sigh, which makes Ares whip around, two knives appearing instantly in her hands.

Ares relaxes slightly as her one eye narrows in on us. "You look remarkably alive for someone who should be dead," she says to me coolly.

"You look remarkably unguarded for someone on the edge of a territory," I respond, smiling slightly because I Know she ditched her guard.

"I needed a breather," she says drily, and her eyes narrow at Killian. "Now that my pups aren't here for you to threaten, are you ready for an actual fight, pup?"

Only Ares Alstott would look at the Ultimum Viatorem and call him such a patronizing name without batting an eyelash.

Killian chuckles darkly, opening his mouth to respond when I stomp on his foot and mindlink him: Knock it off.

"Actually," I interject. "I was hoping you may be interested in joining a fight."

She perks up slightly at this. "A fight, you say?" she muses.

"Bored with motherhood already?" Killian taunts.

"Bored with being alive, pup?" Ares responds, her grip on the blades tightening.

"Ares, you owe me," I state plainly.

"You said you would only need one favor," she points out.

"Yeah, well, I didn't anticipate living this long." I roll my eyes. "Shall we create a tally of all of the things you owe me for?"

She grins coldly, showing canines far bigger than any other she-wolf. "If you're asking for my help, you must have made quite an enemy for yourself, Seer"

"A witch coven," I admit.

She looks surprised by this, before chuckling coldly. "Fine, I'm in."

Killian blanches. "Really? That's it? You don't want to know why we want to kill a coven of witches? You aren't surprised by the existence of witches?"

Ares shrugs. "Do they bleed?"

"Yes," Killian says slowly.

"Then I'll enjoy killing them." Her one eye flashes silver.

"Cain will notice you're missing," Killian warns.

Ares snorts. "I can handle Cain."

"You just gave birth," Killian adds.

"Yes, Killian, I'm a mother, not an invalid," she says, every word dripping in sarcasm. "Still in perfect shape, still could kill you easily. Want a demo?"

"That won't be necessary," I say, glaring at him. "Are you ready now?"

Ares grins. "Ready to kill? Always."

****

The entrance of the Crimson Shadow Pack House is small, far too small for the circulus, Akoni and a few of his top fighters, and Dorian and the vampires he brought. We kept our numbers to a minimum, not wanting to attract too much attention to ourselves when we infiltrate the coven.