Chapter 1

Killian

"Alpha, I've just received word that Jason wasn't at his patrol station when the next guard came to take his position," Knox tells me as he barges into my office.

I look up from my papers. "Did you mindlink Jason?"

Knox wears a somber expression on his face that I'm sure is identical to mine. "Yes, Alpha. His bond isn't broken, but he will not respond through mindlink."

Leaning back in my chair, I rub my eyes. "Just like the others."

This was the fifth missing wolf taken from Crimson Shadow this month.

"What do we do, Alpha?" Knox asks. l can sense his anxiety through our link. I feel anxious too.

"It's time I get what I'm owed."

***

Katrina

I wake up with no future.

Typically when I wake up, I focus on Seeing my day, learning about what will happen before it does.

But there is nothing.

I can't even tell what I'm going to eat for breakfast, and the idea thoroughly distresses me.

I try not to worry. Surely, this could mean anything. My Sight is fickle, showing me things when it wants to, especially showing me things I don't.

But there is nothing.

Pushing down my trepidation, I get dressed for the day, making a decision even though I have no idea where the day will lead. I have training in an hour, so I dress for that. I pull on my gloves, the only barrier I have between me and an onslaught of visions and Knowing I get when I make skin to skin contact with someone.

My Sight isn't completely gone. I still have what I call the Knowing, which is what I experience when I have a feeling about something that will happen.

For example, when I drink my glass of orange juice, I know that it will slip out of my hand, and so I will catch it before it does. No visions, no freaky eye bleeding incurred as a result of the visions, but still clairvoyance nonetheless.

As I drink my orange juice, waiting for it to slip out of my hand, I check my cell phone, seeing that I have a missed call from Gwen.

I know that it's wrong to ignore my sister after she just had a baby, but since she had the baby with my mate, it doesn't seem like that rude of a thing to do, not in the grand scheme of things.

My sister getting pregnant with my mate's baby before we even met.

Again, another time my Sight could have helped me.

But it didn't.

And so now, here I am, living in a one room loft by myself, since my parents decided to move to Blue Moon once my sister was made the Luna.

The glass slips out of my hand, and I'm so unfocused that I let it.

Swearing under my breath, I clean up the shattered glass and juice. Sight made this easier in some ways, infinitely harder than others.

Someone is at the door, or at least is about to be.

I sigh, opening the front door just as someone is about to knock. Lauren, a she-wolf who I didn't know all that well, has her fist raised, frozen when I open the door before she has the chance to knock.

"Lauren," I say in surprise. I wasn't expecting her, but my Sight is wrong today. Everything is wrong. Something is amiss, but I can't tell what.