Chapter 52

Katrina

Knox pushes the plate of food closer to me. "Please eat," he pleads.

I ignore him.

"Do you... need blood?" Knox asks hesitantly. "I can fill up a cup of mine for you."

I ignore that, too.

"Please, Luna," Knox says, and I cringe at the word. I am no Luna, especially not without my Alpha. "I promised him I would take care of you, I can't do that if you don't eat."

Of course he would arrange for someone to take care of me in case if something like this arose. Killian would never not have a backup plan.

My heart wrenches, and more tears spill down my face.

I can't stop picturing him chained to the wall, drained of all his blood. Pale, no life in his sapphire eyes.

I fight the urge to throw up.

All my fault.

I didn't know if Leo got let go, didn't care if he did or not. If I had known that Killian would be the one paying the price for his rescue, I never would have risked it.

"I'm going to go to bed," I say, my throat raspy as I get up from the table. I already sent the circulus to their respective houses, but Knox refused to leave.

"I'll escort you," Knox offers, quickly standing up.

"Go away," I beg. "Please, I need to be alone right now. I have to think of a way out of this."

"We'll figure something out," he says desperately. "We won't just accept this. We can find another Seer, get another pack to track him down. This isn't close to over yet."

I don't dare to let myself hope.

Hope always leads to disappointment.

I have to prepare for the worst-case scenario.

Killian, never coming back. Never waking up with him again, never arguing with him again.

Grief hits me so hard I collapse to the floor, sobs wracking my body as the bond is flooded so harshly with my misery I can barely breathe. Knox swears under his breath, racing to me.

"I hope those tears aren't for me, darling."

No.

My breath hitches at the voice, and I look up.

Killian grins at me, and I choke on a sob.

He bends down next to me, getting on his knees with me, and wraps his arms around me, and I fall apart.

"Shh," Killian soothingly strokes my hair. "Everything is fine. I'm back."

"You're back," I repeat, still sobbing.

"I told you I would always come back for you," he whispers, his arms tightening. "You should have listened. Why don't you ever listen to me?"

I choke out a laugh, but it sounds wrong. "How are you back?"

He shows me what happened through our mindlink, and I cringe at the sight of the witch breaking his bones, stabbing him, of the illusion she showed him.

"We should get you to a healer," I say, frantically looking him over for injuries.

"Knox, can we talk later?" Killian calls out, and I forgot he was there. Knox immediately flees.

Killian cradles me in his arms, standing us up, and we fall through the in between. I frown when I see where we land.

"This isn't the infirmary," I say, my eyes narrowing.