Chapter 15

"I don't See anything," I apologize, taking a step back. "I'm sorry."

And I am. Guilt pushes on my temples, giving me a deep migraine. I tried pushing into my Sight, but it didn't even bother pushing back.

There was just pure silence.

"It's those damn bloodsuckers," Maryn hisses, squatting down at the ground and looking at the tracks. Footprints.

Jae nods. "It has to be those bastard vampires."

Knox sighs. "We don't know that."

Maryn glares at him. "Yes we do. Who else could it be? Those are footprints. Not paw prints."

"Werewolves can have human footprints, too," Gage points out.

"We don't have enough evidence," Kage inputs quietly. "Everyone has footprints. This means nothing."

"This is stupid!" Layla scowls, kicking a rock. "We all know that it's those dumb bats. We should poison them all."

My eyes widen slightly, and I can See her anger. She really would poison all of them without any remorse. Sometimes, I feel like Layla is really the true threat of the circulus. Wild, uncontrollable, emotional.

"I hate this," Layla whimpers, and tears stream out of her eyes. "What if one of us gets taken next?"

"Don't say that, Layls," Mar says harshly. "Nobody else is getting taken. We'll make sure of that."

"What, because we have such a good history of that?" Gabe scowls. "Statistically speaking-"

"Stop," Layla cries "I don't want to hear any more numbers! They're not just numbers, Gabe! They're people."

"People that, statistically speaking, we haven't protected!" Gabe yells, shaking slightly, and I'm surprised to see him so worked up. He appeared to be the rational one of the group, though I suppose that was more likely to be Knox.

"Everyone stop," Killian snarls. Before stepping in, he was listening intently to the group's discussion.

Everyone freezes.

"We'll reformat training," Killian says, his voice harsh and unyielding, and my wolf inwardly heels to the command. He's a strong Alpha, and if he chose to use his commands more, I wouldn't be able to resist. "We'll start focusing more on training to kill vampires."

"Are... are you not training the rest of the pack?" Knox questions, looking hesitant.

"No," Killian answers, his voice cutting through us like a knife. "We aren't bringing the pack to war. And I don't want to incite panic by telling them about vampires. The circulus will infiltrate the coven alone. We gather evidence, and then bring it to the Viatoribus. Once the Viatoribus have the evidence they can take down the coven by themselves."

"They're that strong?" I ask in surprise. Based on what Killian told me about vampires, they seemed hard to destroy. How could he be so sure that the Viatoribus could kill them so easily?

"Yes," Killian answers shortly. "I would join them. But they could even easily defeat them without my help."

"Collecting evidence..." Maryn says slowly. "How would we go about doing that?"

Killian's face turns grim.

"You're joking," Jae says in disbelief. "Don't even suggest that."

"What?" I ask in confusion. The rest of the circulus seems to understand what this is regarding.

"He wants to teleport inside alone," Kage murmurs lowly to me, shaking his head in disapproval.

"That is a very stupid idea," Knox growls. "No."