Chapter 18

I stare at the stupid red leather book.

"Do something," I whisper, and poke it.

"I don't think that's how books work," Kage whispers back, glancing up from his own book.

The two of us had been in the library for hours trying to find something relevant in the stupid books from the Archives.

I tried reading the other books, but the stupid red one kept drawing me back to it. The book wants me to read it, I can tell, but my Sight does not.

My Sight will kill me if I push too hard on this, I can tell.

"Why would they put a blank book in the Archives?" I groan. "Most worthless piece of shit ever."

Kage laughs softly. "You just have to know how to read it."

"There's nothing to read!" I hold open a blank page to demonstrate my point.

Kage shrugs. "I'm sure you know deep down how to read it. Your fear is blocking what you Know."

His words shock me. "How is it that you're the smartest and youngest one in the circulus?" I ask, laughing nervously, because I'm sure he's right. I know how to read it. My Sight just won't let me see.

Kage's cheeks redden. "I'm not that young," He mutters. "I'll be 18 in a few months."

"Baby," I tease, and his blush deepens.

"I don't think Gabe would appreciate you calling me the smartest," Kage laughs. "He doesn't like his intelligence challenged."

"You're probably right," I agree chuckling. He made it a point to correct everyone, even over innocuous things.

Kage's eyes glaze over and he freezes for a moment before his eyes refocus. "Killian told me to remind you that you have training with him in an hour," He tells me.

I cringe. Killian and I had been avoiding each other for the last six days, only seeing each other at circulus meetings and dinners, in which we sat as far away as possible.

"Is something going on between you too?" Kage asks quietly, glancing up from his book.

"No," I answer quickly.

Doubt flashes in Kage's eyes. "Because it seems weird between you two. You won't even look at each other."

I shrug, and try to make my voice ambivalent. "Not surprising since we hate each other."

Kage laughs. "You don't hate each other. Killian definitely doesn't hate you."

"I don't know what that means."

"Yes you do," Kage mutters. "You both are impossible."

I throw a book at him, which he catches, laughing. "We're supposed to be friends," I whine. "You can't say that."

Kage grins, and he looks so similar to Killian when he does that, it makes my chest tighten. "Not in a bad way," He amends. "You're both just so... stubborn. Always have to choose the path of most resistance."

"What was it like," I ask, changing the subject away from Killian and I. "Growing up with Killian?"

Kage shrugs. "I didn't see him much until recent years. He was with the Viatoribus until a few years ago when he got the Alpha position. I only visited the Viatoribus during the summer."

"You spent time with the Viatoribus?" I ask in surprise. I thought only Killian did.

He nods. "Our mother wanted both of us to spend time with them. She's a strong wolf, and attributes that to growing up in the Viatoribus. Even if Killian didn't get his arm dissolved by that she-wolf, he still would have been sent there by our mother. Training is much better there."