Chapter 13 - Lack of Authority from The First Princess

"Your Majesty... Can't you do it alone?" Athanasia once again found herself in that office which she cursed more than anything else now. After three weeks had passed, her patience had also gone and it was with all the effort of the world that she had come today. "I'm tired of it."

Claude looked up at her without really care about what she was saying. All he wanted was for her to finish the job as quickly as possible. "All I'm asking you to do is finish this." He pointed to the papers in front of her. "I don't see where is the problem." She frowned at his demeaning tone.

'Don't you see what the problem is? Really?' She sighed once again. "I'm telling you I don't understand why I'm here. And why should I even do the Emperor's work since I'm not even the Crown Princess?" She looked at Jeanette with a dark look that was meant to be discreet. There she was, sitting on one of the sofas of the room but didn't say a word. Today, she was even rather silent but Athanasia didn't care, she didn't have her time.

"Why talk about it now when nothing has been decided yet?" The only two princesses in the room and Felix looked at him almost perplexed. He had just confirmed what Athanasia and Felix were not thinking about being possible. He had just said that Athanasia might have a chance of having the crown, to which she did not respond.

She found it suspicious. Everything was too suspicious. Did he understand that Jeanette didn't have the abilities of a leader? Had he understood that the best of the two was Athanasia? She wanted to feel good, but she didn't. She didn't feel good at all.

She wanted the crown, yes, but it was far too easy for the individual in front of her to say that kind of thing after fourteen years of abandonment. She felt used as her eyes passed over the many documents that littered her table. She began to breathe irregularly, her brain thinking at high speed.

Claude was a hypocrite.

She let go of her pen and put it down on the table with a sharp stroke, turning everyone's attention to her. She had already proved her abilities a long time ago. So what was she doing here doing the Emperor's work? What would it bring her in the future? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It wouldn't stop people from looking down on her and putting her down because no one would be here to see how hard she was working. She understood how the society worked. False rumors circulated quickly, so people could pretend it was Jeanette who did her job.

"Your Majesty." She raised her eyes slowly to him. "I don't approve at all the way you use me. Is it for the purpose of raising Princess Jeanette in a near future? If so, there's no need to go that far." Claude didn't even have time to answer that Jeanette got up quickly.

"It has nothing to do with it Athanasia, I promise you. You're just very talented, more than me! Father is surely proud to have you with him!" In the eyes of the outside world, what she had just said was indeed a compliment. But in the eyes of Athanasia? It was one of the worst insults one could say to her. Of all the people she didn't want to hear praise from, Jeanette was the very first on the list.

"... Very talented? Really?" She raised an eyebrow, more and more angry inside. But Athanasia had learned to stand up straight in all situations and this one was no exception. "I refuse to help you any further, Your Majesty. But I can see that Princess Jeanette has a little time on her hands, she could replace me, couldn't she?" The blonde pointed at the brunette with a rather abrupt and casual gesture. "Don't worry Princess Jeanette, with a bit of practice, you'll surely be able to do what I do. I'm leaving, I have nothing more to do here and I have more important things on my schedule." She tried to leave but it was not enough for Jeanette to try to hold her back.