Chapter 32 - Are you mad or sad, Jeanette?

N.A. Heya! Long time no see again! I should have post last weekend but I guess I underestimated homework and classes... Anyway, updates will be slower than before, about one chapter every three weeks. I wanted to do more, but it seems like I can't. Moreover, since WMMAP stopped, I don't have the same motivation and inspiration to write. I'm trying to do my best but I can't promise anything for the time being. On that note, have a nice read with a 5,000 word chapter to warm you up a bit!

. . .

"You were right, the black magic did have an effect. What's a shame is that it didn't really sway opinions." Athanasia shook her head and shoved a chocolate cookie into her mouth. "Do you believe that? The Emperor actually tried to defend her."

"He's a fool, Athy. And you know it. Don't worry about that right now. Nobles are predictable." Lucas bit into an apple with a wry smile. "Give the rumors time to reach everyone, and the trick will be done." Athanasia nodded. She didn't have to hurry too much, Jeanette's fall was already planned, without her help. "Besides, you still have to go to her ball tomorrow, you realize that?"

She rolled her eyes for a moment. "A promise is a promise. And I'll be able to get an account of the audience's reactions to me and her." Then she thought better of it, turned back to Lucas and exclaimed. "Do you think you can design me a dress quickly for the ball? I hadn't really thought about what I was going to wear for her birthday, the faster the better."

"I can do that now. What color?"

"Black."

"Black?" Lucas raised an eyebrow. "Are you going to her funeral or something?"

"Knowing Jeanette, she's bound to dress in pink or blue. Even white if she wants to play the poor innocent child card. I don't want red like at my coronation ceremony. So black. Original, Classy." She nodded at her own answer, now convinced. "No wait. Now that I think about it, green isn't so bad. I've never tried it, this is my chance to see the result."

"Any other preferences I should consider?"

"Well... Long and with gold embroidery... I trust you with the rest." She raised her two thumbs in the air with conviction.

Lucas restrained himself from rolling his eyes. "But where do you even get these ideas from?"

"From Hannah and Calliope. The color certainly wouldn't have attracted me otherwise, but I just want to try it."

"Okay, then..." Lucas snapped his fingers as a dress materialized on the empty mannequin that now stood in the corner of the room. "How do you like it?"

Athanasia inspected its shape and color at length, circling around it like a detective. Once the inspection was finished, she turned back to Lucas with a wide smile. "That should do the trick! Now get out." She said as she pointed to the door. Lucas then took offense with a muffled sound.

"So this is how you repay my services?"

"I need to work and I can't do it if you're here. You're always distracting me."

"That's completely wrong-"

"Get out."

With an accompanying click of his tongue, Lucas beamed from the room with a grumble sound and Athanasia was able to get back to work quickly. Tomorrow, Jeanette's party would take place. She was impatient but at the same time a little on the nerves. Especially when her gaze landed for the umpteenth time on the brooch that Lilian had given her. The emerald green which shone gave her an idea. She could just wear it tomorrow since the color seemed similar with the dress.