Chapter 27 - The Emperor's Banquet (2/2)

Long time no see everyone! As you can see, getting a chapter out now takes me a long time. And it's probably going to continue since I also have to prepare for my future exams, so if I take 1 month to release a chapter, here's my reason.

Anyway, do you remember Athanasia's vision (the one in chapter 16 that Jeanette also had in chapter 25)? Well you can use it as a spoiler for the end. Indeed, when Future's Athanasia yells at Jeanette, she tells her one by one who will disappear. Our Athanasia doesn't know it because she hadn't heard it, but Jeanette does and you probably have big doubts too.

So the question is, will Jeanette manage to save everyone? Will Athanasia listen to her? Because personally?

I doubt so.

. . .

Athanasia's gaze wandered through the crowd for a few moments, still shaken by this more than unexpected encounter. She saw Elizabeth walking towards a man who looked like he was still in his mid-twenties, his hair as red as hers. The extravagant and refined outfit he wore declared his identity without even speaking for him. He must have been the Emperor of Kaiserreich, her son then.

'What I really want?' Athanasia frowned. She knew it. To live happily and to put in their place all those who looked down on her in the past, that was what she wanted. So why had that question shaken her so much?

"Athanasia."

"Hmm?" She didn't even turn her head toward the person she guessed was Carsein. The young man patted her shoulder and pointed to the stage. On it, a magnificent black piano was located. Nobody had touched it yet for the simple reason that the person who had put it there was none other than the Princess. "Oh. It's already time." The guard nodded and together they approached the stage before climbing on in turn. When the guests saw the blonde standing tall and staring at the crowd, the noise gradually gave way to silence and all attention was on her.

Her friends turned around in incomprehension, only Elphinny and Calliope kept their composed posture. The magician crossed his arms and leaned against a wall, he too had not been informed of what would happen but seeing Carsein behind her, he let things go without any question.

Athanasia cleared her throat and handed her now empty glass to Carsein without even looking at him. She seemed completely in another sphere, focused on something only she knew. Her eyes seemed to pass into those of every individual in the room, crossing those of Claude, Jeanette, and Duke Alpheus. She scanned them, analyzed them, deciphered them one by one without anyone knowing why. Neither did she, to tell the truth. She had gone up on the stage to introduce Calliope and Asterias. Yet, as soon as she stepped onto the platform, her heart seemed to skip a beat.

The same feeling had caught up with her. The one from Jeanette's poisoning, the one she felt before the banquet, there, again, now, she felt it again. It seemed stronger, more frightening, so much so that her throat tightened as if a knot had now taken its place there. Then she took the time to look around her for any danger. However, nothing visually jumped out at her. She threw a last glance at Lucas who frowned at first. Something was wrong and he understood it. Then he analyzed himself the room thanks to his magic, but nothing, always nothing. He shook his head negatively and the princess took a deep breath, returning to her original position.

If Lucas said there was nothing dangerous in this room, then that was the case.

"First, I'd like to thank every single person who came out tonight. I know that some of you have come from far away, farther than the boundaries of our territory. I hope this is a pleasant and enjoyable evening for all." 'And I hope Claude chokes on his food.' "Now, I would like to make way for someone very important to me. A young girl with dreams as big as her ambitions, a heart as pure as an angel's..." Athanasia turned her head slightly and her gaze locked on Calliope's, whose cheeks grew redder and redder. "And I know that this very good friend of mine is capable of melting the hearts of all of you if you allow her the honor of singing during this great event. The young lady of House Rustichel, Calliope Rustichel and the young master of the Duchy Castillo, Sir Asterias Castillo, if you could come."