Chapter 21 - Family Isn't Important Anymore

"Athanasia

"Athanasia... I'm so sorry..." This was the last sentence Jeanette said before this mysterious stranger sent her into the past.

Jeanette and Athanasia. Even though the reputation of one and the other was certainly not the same, the two "sisters" had no problem with each other. On the contrary, they found a kind of comfort in each other, a kind of support. Whether it was the brunette or the blonde, apart from one or two people, they had never really tasted what one might call "family" or "friendship". So when they entered each other's lives, it was like the light at the end of the tunnel, the one that would free them from their loneliness. They filled each other's voids, felt supported by each other.

At least, that's what they thought.

"Princess Jeanette!" After drinking the tea Athanasia had served her, her vision became blurred, her head began to spin, and a reddish liquid eventually got expelled from her mouth. She took the time to stare at the cup before she realized. It was the contents that made her like this. Poison? "Someone call the physician! The Princess has been poisoned!"

Around her, everyone panicked, rushing in every possible direction to be able to help her before the effects became too severe. For a moment, Jeanette looked at Athanasia's eyes. But her doubts about her sister were quickly dispelled when she saw how badly Athanasia felt. She was shaking abruptly, holding back sobs, and repeatedly tried to get close to her so she could help her getting up, only to be stopped by the maids.

"Wasn't it Princess Athanasia who served the tea?" When she heard this, Athanasia's eyes widened. "Now that you mention it... Princess Athanasia probably poisoned Princess Jeanette!"

Athanasia stood up abruptly from her chair, knocking it over in the process. "N-No...! I assure you it's not-" But she wasn't listened to and the guards ruthlessly grabbed her poor frail body. "Please! I didn't-" But she was dragged out of the garden without anyone paying attention to her words.

Jeanette wanted to protest -she had seen Athanasia and spent all her time with her. If she wanted to, she would have poisoned her a long time ago. She probably knew Athanasia almost as well as Lilian. And she would never have dared to do such a thing. But when she opened her mouth to defend her, a pool of blood came out and she collapsed again under the alarmed cries of the maids.

"Princess Jeanette has passed out!" Athanasia let one last look at Jeanette, a look of fear and concern. But she couldn't say nothing more as she was dragged off to the courtroom where the Emperor was waiting for her.

Jeanette woke up a few days later, still sick but finally able to stand. It took her a while to remember everything that had happened, but it was already too late. She had woken up the day of the execution, a few hours earlier. When she heard this, she ran to Claude, begging him to let the investigation go, to find the real person responsible. She was sure, Athanasia didn't do it.