Chapter 17 - The Hunting Season Part.3

"Felix, show me the results of the first event." The emperor was in his own tent, away from the noise but close to Jeanette's. Today had been the last consecutive day of the first event, and Claude knew he would have to be present tomorrow for the announcement of the second event.

"Here, Your Majesty." Felix handed him a sheet of paper and Claude began to read it. But he suddenly frowned. "Is something wrong?" He didn't answer and gave him back the sheet before sending him away from his tent.

Once outside, the crimson-haired knight took the time to look at what was marked on the sheet as well and widened his eyes in surprise. "I see, so that's why he didn't say anything..." A small smile appeared on his face as he walked away, his mind clearer.

. . .

The next day, everyone gathered again in front of the big platform. Everyone was there, but many had dark and tired faces. The reason was simple, they knew who would be among the finalists in the second round, and out of the hundreds of participants, only 10 people could make it. Today, Claude and Jeanette had to be there, so they sat back down on their thrones, dressed as royally as before.

"In my hands is the list of the ten participants for the next event." The announcer lifted his hand and shook it in the air, as if to show the piece of paper. "I know you're all exhausted, so let's make this quick and then you'll have the day off!" He scratched his throat with a rather low sound. "Let me remind you of the instructions. You have been awarded points based on what you have successfully hunted. So the more extraordinary is the prey, the higher are your points! The best score to date remains that of Emperor Claude de Alger Obelia here with a total score of 476!" The crowd quickly began to cheer their leader, more than proud.

Jeanette gave her 'father' an impressed look, stars in her eyes. 'I knew he was good, but this looks very impressive.' She tried to appear calm, but she was actually very agitated and was waiting for the results with even more anticipation than the participants involved. Waiting to see if Athanasia would be on the list, she vigorously tapped the floor with her left foot under her long dress.

"There's no way she can't pass."

"And I'm 100% sure that Hal has passed the test too!"

"It wouldn't surprise me, they've spent the last two days hunting side by side. For once, I can say I'm proud of my brother." The mixed group of friends were all chatting about the results, already knowing that their friend would have all her chances. "Hey Lucas, you better protect Athanasia with all your being if you don't want to get in trouble with me!" The wizard who had settled in beside them rolled his eyes as he nibbled on his cookie.

"Yeah yeah, whatever Elphinny! Do you think I am dumb or something?" He waved his hand at her, saying he wasn't silly, but Helena quickly intervened in the discussion.

"Wait a minute! Since when do you call each other no honorifics!? You're being unfair Elphinny, I want to do it too!" Helena threw flames in the direction of the redhead who didn't immediately understand what she was talking about. She simply shrugged her shoulders, her gaze once again disinterested.

"If you want to do it, then do it."

"Yes, but!" She took Elphinny's arm to shake her. "It's not fair Elphinny, it's not fair!"

"Oh my god... Get off Helena!" The girls squealed for a few seconds before Lucas got fed up and was about to enter the argument.

"Silence you all, they're about to announce the winners!" Calliope put her finger in front of her mouth to indicate silence and everyone focused on the announcer who began to read the names of the winning contestants.