Chapter 33 - She is Falling Apart

"...How is this possible? In such a short time?" Athanasia forced herself to read the letter in her hands again and again.

A few days after Jeanette's birthday, things seemed to be back on track again. And yet, this letter seemed to turn all her hopes upside down...

***

Greetings, Princess.

I regret to inform you that Elphinny's health prevents her from being able to answer your letters. We do not yet know what sickness she is suffering from, and we are currently seeking for answers with the help of our doctors.

We will keep you informed as soon as her condition improves.

With all due respect,

Duchess Alpinus.

***

Athanasia frowned and hurried to call a servant. Hannah was the one who answered her and entered the room in a panic upon hearing the tone of her voice. "Is something wrong, Princess?"

She didn't answer immediately, too focused on what she was writing. When she finished her task, she handed the paper to Hannah. "Take this and bring it to the royal physicians. Ask them to leave immediately for the Alpinus Residence."

Hannah asked no further questions and walked away as quickly as she had arrived, leaving Athanasia alone with her thoughts. How could Elphinny's condition get so much worse? To the point where she couldn't even get out of bed? She was getting regular updates from Calliope and it was anything but positive or normal. But maybe the royal physicians would get to the bottom of the problem?

Athanasia didn't even have time to fully concentrate on her friend because the delegation from the Castina Empire was due to arrive in the next few days, knowing that crossing the border from Obelia before arriving at the Palace would also take them days. So Athanasia had no free time to spend with her friend, even though she wanted more than anything to join her.

She wondered for a few moments at her startling thoughts before refocusing on the preparations she was in charge of. She had no time. No more time. Her 18th birthday was not so far away, in just a few months. And she knew that before then, Anastacius-whom she had trouble calling Aeternithas-would strike. She was one of his main targets. And Claude's fate was out of her hands. He had put himself in this situation on his own, weakening mentally and physically as a result of his decisions.

After a while, she got back to work. She did everything she could to arrange the arrival of the delegation and fulfill her role as the Crown Princess. Carefully, the papers completed by her were piled up one by one without her taking any break. The magical barrier that had been protecting Obelia from enemy invasions was set to send a signal back to the Palace Central as soon as the soldiers crossed it. Lucas, who sensed her constant panic, did not try to stop her in her tracks, judging her to be able to know when she needed rest.

. . .

"Here, Your Majesty, Jeanette." Two days passed. Athanasia advanced the papers to the table where tea and small cakes were positioned. From a distance, it looked like a nice little family gathering. The sisters would be happily discussing the upcoming ball they might attend while their father listened contentedly. But those who worked in the palace could clearly feel the aura that emanated from them. Dark. Frightening. Disturbing.

And between the two beasts, Jeanette sat there, staring at her cup of tea as if it were the most interesting thing in the world. After all, she too had just undergone several sudden upheavals in her life, starting with the identity of her father and ending with the death of her aunt, caused by him. Too much information was spinning around in her head, making it too hard for her to focus on her surroundings. She wanted to run and tell Ijekiel everything, but she knew that her uncle would do it. Besides, it would probably put him in danger, wouldn't it?