Chapter 18 - The Hunting Season Part.4

Shocked. That was the word Calliope would have uttered if she was asked how she felt. After almost running away from her friend's tent, she didn't join the girls right away, trying to think about what to do. From what she understood, Athanasia was in the same situation as her and Lucas knew about that. But as for the rest, it was all a blur in her mind. She soon found herself in a dilemma.

Should she go back to Elphinny and the others, or should she go and support her friend, crying and alone in a corner of her tent?

Her heart thought first and without hesitation she ran to Athanasia. Once she was in front of her tent, she called her name in a low voice.

"Athanasia...?" She heard sniffles stop and then footsteps coming towards her. Suddenly, the curtain that covered the entrance was lifted and the blonde's pale face appeared. Obvious tear tracks could still be seen on her face and her red eyes and cheeks did not help her situation.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice was weakened and she didn't seem open to discussion at all.

"I just wanted to... I can see you're not well. Let me in, I can't leave you alone in this state." Calliope directed a sincere smile at her, but Athanasia clearly had no desire to have anyone around, no matter the reason.

"I know you just want to help me but I'll be fine. Besides, my problems are too complicated for you." She turned on her heels, ready to sink into her bed never to emerge when the blue-haired girl held her back.

"What if... I tell you that your problems aren't as different from yours as they are from mine?" Calliope risked revealing it all to her now. She was sure of it, she hadn't heard wrong. She too had gone back in time, just as she had. So why would she deprive herself of having allies?

Athanasia turned back to her and raised an eyebrow.

"Listen Calliope, I really don't feel like playing games. So please, just leave." She hoped to see her decamp the tent, but the opposite happened as she moved further into the blonde's private space who then huffed loudly. "I'm not kidding anymore. Go away, I need to be alone."

"Athanasia, I know what you're going through for the simple reason that we are both the same." She approached her friend and, coming up to her height, she said serenely. "We both come from a past that cost us a lot. And we're back so we can get our revenge and protect our loved ones, aren't we?"

. . .

At the same time, Jeanette stood in front of Claude's tent, ready to have her questions answered. The brunette wanted to know, she wanted to know the first reason of Athanasia's hate towards him. So she simply decided to go to him after crying for a long time alone. "Sir Felix, is my father here?"

She found herself facing the red-haired guard who widened his eyes when he saw the red face of the princess. "Y-Yes he is here but... What happened to your face?" He moved closer to her, worried again.

"I am better now, Sir Felix. Thank you for your concern but I just want to talk to Father." Letting out a sigh of resignation from his mouth, he shifted from the doorway and let her pass. She then entered the Emperor's spacious and very well laid out space and with a small fright, she approached where he was sitting, a sofa in which he was resting. "Father?"

Claude instinctively turned his head as he heard Jeanette's voice. "There you are. I didn't hear you come in. What's the matter? Do you need something?" He straightened nonchalantly as he readjusted his tunic. She froze for a moment, not quite sure how she should speak about the topic.

"I have a delicate question to ask... May I?" He simply nodded. "Father, why is your relationsh... Why don't you and Athanasia get along?" Upon hearing Athanasia's name, he frowned and turned his attention completely back to Jeanette.