Chapter 8 - Meeting and Questions

"So... you want to learn how to use a sword?" Carsein gave the blonde girl in front of him a long look. "You know Princess, swords aren't toys... I'm afraid you can ruin your soft skin with this kind of hobby." He burst out laughing before getting kicked in the leg. Athanasia frowned with discontent.

"You can't understand Carsein! I need to become stronger to achieve my goal." Above all, she had to be stronger than Jeanette if she wanted to prove her abilities to the Empire and its people. Yes, with Lucas at her side and the precious help of Carsein, it would have been difficult for her to be attacked. But anything could happen, couldn't it?

Athanasia remembered the death of her double from the other dimension. She had everything in her life. The emperor had put powerful spells on her and she even had the right to the famous Felix Robane. And yet what did she gain in return? Nothing if not a horrible end. Athanasia had to learn more about these abilities. So she wanted to be able to fight and use her supposed magic properly to achieve her goal.

"Your goal? You never told me about it before." The two looked into each other's eyes. Carsein already had a small idea of what it would be like when he saw with his own eyes the way Athanasia looked at the other princess, but he wanted a clear answer from her.

"I want... I want to become the future Empress of Obelia." She sighed and left to sit on one of the chairs in the room. Carsein tilted his head to the side, not sure if he understood correctly.

"Empress?" He moved a little closer to her and leaned against a wall. "You are the first princess of Obelia. Aren't you therefore the Crown Princess?" She shook her head sadly and laid her empty gaze on the pictures and paintings on the walls.

"Nope." She giggled and put a hand on her forehead before rubbing her temple. "As you may have noticed, I never had any interaction of my own with His Majesty. Moreover, it is clear that Jeanette is more fortunate than I am considering her origins and her move to the Emerald Palace. Finally, Jeanette is older than me." As she spoke, she bent three of her fingers and turned towards Carsein. "She has every right to the throne, Carsein. And if I want to have that place, I have to become stronger, more powerful. I have to show my superiority so that I can be recognized as worthy by others."

"Yes, but..." Carsein fell into silence. He knew she was right all along. If Athanasia didn't do anything to fix the current situation, she wouldn't stand a chance against Jeanette. "Let's make a deal then." When she heard this, Athanasia got up quickly.

"What!? Are you serious? You're really gonna do it?" She ran up to him, her eyes full of stars. He scratched the back of his skull, embarrassed by their sudden proximity.

"Yeah. I'll help you."

"But didn't you think princesses shouldn't touch swords? Isn't that what you meant?" Carsein looked away and scratched his throat.

"That's what I used to think. But that was before Aristia asked me for help. I kept telling her that for her, it was useless because she was going to be Empress. But she never gave up the idea and she was persevering. I told you, you reminded me of her." He then shook his hands sharply. "I'm not trying to compare you, I swear!"

Athanasia burst out laughing before passing her hand over the head of the redhead who looked distraught. "Don't worry, I understand. Thank you for your help then."

"We'll start tomorrow, Athanasia." She nodded and walked towards the door. "Are you going out somewhere?" She put her hand on the doorknob and smiled like a child.

"Yes, let's go see Lucas!"

. . .

"Lucas! Where are you?" Athanasia and Carsein had gone to the Black Tower to see the famous Lucas that the redhead had never seen before. Well, yes, he had vaguely seen him at Athanasia's tea party two weeks ago but he had never spoken to him so he was rather curious about him.