twelve. when the end comes

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐮𝐳𝐞

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐮𝐳𝐞

𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚜

╚═══════════════╝

H E R

"Alright, how about Little House on the Prairie?" Carl tossed me the book a little too carelessly but I still managed to catch it from where I sat at the table, my feet slightly up.

Of course, it had to be the Little House series, which I ate up obsessively. Even leant heavily on the orphanism of on the the televised versions character, Albert, to get me through my own parentless struggles. I couldn't help but let a laugh escape me. It felt silly now, letting a fictional entity influence me.

"Nope, already read it." I handed it back to him, pressing it into his palms a little rougher than necessary but he should know better than to throw such works of literature.

He meandered back to the dusty shelfs. "You're in luck there's, like, six more."

"I've read all of them." I corrected. "And they're classics, by the way, be careful with them."

He groaned. "Are there any books that you haven't read?"

I glanced around, feeling the weight of my resentment towards him growing with each passing moment. The library, originally intended for prisoners, offered little solace in its limited selection of books.

"Probably not," I replied lightly, masking the bitterness in my tone.

He leaned towards me, using his forefinger to press the brim of his hat up, giving me a better view of his eyes. One eyebrow was slightly raised as were the corners of his lips. "Then I guess this whole thing was a bust, yeah?"

"No," I said slowly, dragging my fingers across the spines of the books set out on the table. "Being able to get out has been a treat." Especially since I had expected to die alone in that cell.