twenty one. truly madly deeply

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭 𝐞𝐭 𝐮𝐧

𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝚖𝚊𝚍𝚕𝚢 𝚍𝚎𝚎𝚙𝚕𝚢

╚═══════════════╝

H E R

"What's your favorite food? Anything you'd like, I'll make it." A kindly lady said to me as I pressed myself against the wall of the kitchen, trying to stay furthest away from where the actual party was taken place.

"Um, I'm not sure." Honestly, I was happy with any food at this point in my life. I would devour whatever ended up in front of me. I was no longer a picky eater.

"Come on, Sweetheart. All those months on the road must've left you hungry for something." She smiled. It was a kind smile. But I felt my stomach drop like lead anyways.

Sweetheart. The damned title Gareth had given me. I felt my jaw tense, my heart skip a beat. The supposed pet name fell bitterly on my ears, filled me with dread as it had followed after me all this time. Teasing me. Calling me out for the monster I was.

I could tell she was only trying to be helpful, not knowing what actually went on outside the walls. It wasn't her fault she was so oblivious. So like I had done with most of the Alexandrians, I smiled and brushed it off. "Spaghetti, I guess."

"Fantastic! Enjoy the rest of the party." And she went off.

I inched my eyes around the archway, fingers curling around my red solo cup full of some citrusy soda (no alcoholic beverages for minors, pity) with 'Eleanor' written with a flourish in Maggie's cursive near the rim. I had almost forgotten what my name had looked like all written out. I used to hate my name as a child, it was too long and too plain. A boring name for a boring girl. But now looking at it, I was glad my parents had chosen it. The letters went together nicely, almost in a pretty manner. However, despite how much I now could admire how it looked written, I definitely loved how it sounded out loud. Specifically when it was being called by Carl.