Prologue : Regret (Edited)

(2027)

The silence of the dim office room was only broken by the soft ticking of a nearby clock. I worked quietly, consumed by the odd sense of peace that I felt whenever I heard a clock ticking.

"I'm sorry to bother your work, sir, but I would like to ask your permission to go home first." The words of my secretary reminded me that I had been working for twelve hours straight.

"It's okay, you can go ahead. I can tidy up myself."

She tidied her desk and gathered her things.

"Thank you for your work," I said.

My name is Sakti. I am twenty-seven years old and I majored in business. Much to most people's confusion, I am currently working in a psychology consultant firm- quite unrelated to my major.

Others would call me a weirdo, but I consider myself as special.

And not just in my career choices.

I can see other peoples' colours. I like to call them the colours of fate. I can see when people are lying, if they're happy, sad, guilty or innocent. Sometimes, I can see even see if something bad is going to happen to them,even when they're going to die soon.

"Damn, I need to finish my work soon."

My elbow knocked something as I got out of my chair to stretch my stiff body. A box with all my work files and personal things came crashing down the floor.

"Dang it, more work."

I crouched down to retrieve the fallen items. Among them was an old journal of mine from my high school days. When I move to pick it up, a few photos fall out.

The first was one of me and two friends in junior high.

I stared at it for a while. I knew that one of them had died and the other sentenced to life behind bars for attempted murder.

I also knew that he was telling the truth when he had denied involvement. And yet I had kept quiet, too afraid to say anything because all the evidence pointed directly at him.