Chapter 6: A Place to Call Home

Author's Advice: play the song for a better reading experience, thank you :3

(Sakti's Home)

"Uhhh Finally got home... what a day......" as I opened the front door of the house, I felt a lukewarm sensation and a nostalgic feeling overwhelming me.

this is my old house, it sure brings back memories.....

This now worn down and old building is the place where I was born and raised, as I take a tour around the house, I can see that this place is still the same as in my memories, the leak on the roof, the squeaking sound when I step on the floor, the small and damp living room.

Most people said that this house was too worn down to live in, and that's why the landlady gave me a very cheap rent price for the house, all the memories of my childhood crammed into one small space I call Home.

I remembered not long after I graduated from high school, the landlady decided to demolish this old house and made a new one on top of it, because at that time I didn't even have the money to keep the house.

"Ahhh the fresh air....." I said as I opened the window right in front of the washing sink and a gush of wind blew over my face, this window that connects my house to the nearby pedestrian walks in the neighbourhood alley.

I remembered how I always hated to open this window, as people would be able to see me, while I was washing the dishes.

As I opened the window a familiar and nostalgic voice called out to me.

"Ronald is that you? You are back from school already? you have grown to be a very young man, your father would be so proud of you." said the voice.

The voice came from a rather old figure, it was the granny that lived in the house on the opposite side of mine.

"Why are you crying? Did something bad happen at school?" asked the grannie as she stood up from her rocking chair as she handed me an old and worn down handkerchief

I remembered this handkerchief was the handkerchief that she made as a birthday gift for her now-deceased husband, a very dear and precious memento that her husband left for her. I remembered that once she forgot where to put this handkerchief and I decided to try and help her find it.

She had one Son, soon after graduating from high school his son joined the military, and was sent on tour, a few months past she finally got words that her son passed away, not long after she got words of her Son, She would then be diagnosed with dementia, she would sometimes have a relapse, and she would mistook me as her own son.

People around the neighborhood that are concerned for her wellbeing, offer to pitch up some money to send her over to a nursing home, but she would always refuse, saying that she wanted to stay at her own house, because there are a lot of memories inside of the small house that she lives in.

"I am fine granny, thank you" I said as I wiped my tears away with my school uniform.

"Ohh it's Sakti... Sorry, I mistook you as Ronald, I guess I am getting old these days haha."

"It's okay granny" I sincerely replied.

"How is your mother? Is she faring well?.

"She's slowly getting better thank you, granny".

I remembered that after I came home from my junior high graduation trip, I was shocked to see that a bulldozer came and wrecked her house. I tried to stop the workers and said that the granny living here wouldn't want her house to be in ruins.

Only to find out later that granny had passed away, soon after I went on my school graduation trip, apparently she had another relapse as she visited and slept in front of her husband's and son's grave in the rain for a few days, before she would pass away soon after, people would say that she finally resigned to her fate.

"Granny do you wanna come over for lunch at my place?".

I decided to cook lunch and eat together with granny but she replied.

"That's very nice of you young man, but i already had my lunch, oh wait I have some leftover dishes" she said as she went back inside her house and brought the food over to my place.

"It's okay.. There's no one else to eat the food over at my place anyways...".

"Thank you, granny your food is really great, I really love it haha" I said as I thank granny for the food.

"Ohh really now, look at how you've grown little Sakti, I remembered back then you would come over to our house and My son Ronald would teach you how to make an origami paper plane and boats" granny replied.

The truth is I know that her dementia is slowly getting worse as she would cook food equivalents for three people, she would often mistook that she was still a family of three, that's why she would often come over to give me some of her cooked food.

"Hmm... i sure wonder how my husband and son are faring these days".

"Granny...".

"Yes sweet dear?".

"Granny, your cooked food is really the best, i wanted to eat it every single day forever".

"Silly you... then you better pray that I would be able to live forever haha" granny said as she decided to sit on her rocking chair again.

"It sure is nice to finally be back home" I said to myself.

"You sounded like you have been away for a long time dear".

"Well, welcome home sweet dear, and you better clean up those dishes quick, don't you have work after this?" granny said while smiling.

"Alright, granny".

Home huh... I guess no matter how it looks, it certainly is nice to have a place to come back, a place I could call as.........

Home......