Chapter One

Andy's pov

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. Groaning, I felt around for it with my eyes only half open, hitting it to switch it off when I found it. At first I was confused. Why would I need to get up this early? Then I remembered that today was my first day of high school. There was part of me that was excited, to be at a new school, to make new friends, to feel more independent and grown-up. But there was also a part of me that was terrified. What if I didn't make any friends? What if I got lost on campus? What if I somehow screw up in front of everyone and embarrass myself? 

"Andrea! You need to get up!" my dad shouted, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"Yeah, I know," I shouted back.

 Reluctantly, I got out of bed and walked over to my closet. It had taken a while, but I'd already picked out an outfit last night and laid it over my chair ready. I'd chosen a pair of jeans, a white tank top and a grey cardigan. I put them on and then started on my hair and makeup. I brushed through my hair, deciding to leave it in its natural waves rather than straightening it. I then put on some light makeup: a little foundation, nude lipstick and mascara. 

I checked my phone, and realising that I still had a bit of time, went and sat on my bed. I reached across to my bedside table and grabbed the photo of me and my Mom. I held it on my lap and smiled sadly. 

"Hey Mom. I'm starting high school today, so wish me luck. You know, I've imagined this day so many times, and you've always been there, helping my do my makeup, or picking me up, or helping me with my homework. I wish you really were here today, I miss you so much. Anyway, I've got to go now Mom. I love you," I said, talking to the photo. I pressed a quick kiss on it, and then stood up, taking a deep breath. I quickly went and re-did my makeup, because I'd ruined it by crying. 

I grabbed my bag that I had packed the day before and ran downstairs. I couldn't see my dad, so I assumed he was upstairs getting ready. I got the box of lucky charms out of the cupboard and sat on the counter. I scrolled through my phone to pass time, occasionally taking handfuls of lucky charms and eating them straight out the box. 

"Andrea what have I told you about eating your cereal like that? It's bad enough that you eat crappy sugar cereal in the first place, you could at least put it in a bowl," my dad scolded me as he walked into the room. 

"Sorry," I muttered, putting them away. 

"Let's go," he said, and I grabbed my bag before following him out of the door. 

He was dropping me of at school before he went to work, he was captain of station 19, the firehouse that is only a few blocks away. We drove in silence most of the way, but when we were nearly there, my dad spoke up. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to pick you up after school?" he asked. 

"I'm sure dad, I'll just walk to the station," I insisted. I'd told him that at least twenty times in the past two days alone, but he still seemed convinced that I was still a kid who couldn't walk a few blocks alone. 

"I'll see you later, love you," I said as we pulled up by the school gates. 

"Have a good day mi hija, love you too," he said and I got out the car. 

After he drove off, I stood on the sidewalk for a few moments before taking a deep breath and heading in.