Chapter Eight

A/n: so, I'm going to apologise in advance, because I'm from the UK, so I'm probably going to get some of (or most of) the details wrong about American high school. Anyway, hope you all like the first proper chapter :)

Andy's pov
When I walked into my new home room, I looked around to see where there were any empty seats. I noticed a blond girl sat alone at the back, so I walked over.
"Hey, can I sit here?" I asked, and she looked up at me.
"Sure. I'm Maya by the way," she said, as I put my bag on the floor and sat down in the seat next to her.
"I'm Andrea, but everyone calls me Andy," I told her and she smiled. We talked about how we were both kind of nervous, kind of excited about starting high school, and I knew we were going to be friends.
A few more people came in, until a few minutes later, all the seats were taken. It seemed like there were only two people that knew each other already, but everyone else seemed to be making friends, like me and Maya.
One of those two people caught my eye straight away, but I couldn't put my finger on why. I mean, sure, I had to admit to myself that he was good-looking, but I don't even know his name, and I haven't even spoken to him.
A couple of minutes passed, and then the teacher, Miss Simmons, came in.
"Morning class. We're going to start with the register, and then we can all get to know each other," she said. She did the register, and I tried to remember everyone's names.
"Okay, now let's go around and say something about ourselves. Starting at the back," she said, pointing to mine and Maya's table.
"Um... I like to run?" Maya said, not sure what exactly what we were supposed to say about ourselves. When Miss Simmons nodded, I started to think about what I was going to say.
"I... I like salsa dancing, I was state champion for the past three years," I said, looking down at my hands nervously.
"Good, they were both very interesting," Miss Simmons said and gestured for the next table to speak.
"I like to sing, and also act," a girl said, and I was pretty sure her name was Vic. Everyone else went around saying something about themselves, until it got to the last person.
"Well, I can speak six different languages, and I, also, can salsa dance," he said, looking over at me as he said the last part. I definitely remembered his name. Robert Sullivan. I found it quite interesting that we both danced salsa, and impressive that he knows six languages. Mentally, I slapped myself. I had to stop thinking about him, I don't even know him.
Miss Simmons talked a bit more, and then handed out our time tables and a few other things we might need.
Maya and I compared our timetables, and saw that we both had gym first. She seemed quite happy about having gym, but I wasn't so much. It seemed way too early to even think about exercising.
We made our way to the changing rooms, somehow managing not to get lost. When we got there, the one person we recognised was Vic, so we went over to her.
"Hey, Vic right?" I asked, and she smiled.
"Yeah, Andy and Maya?" She said, and we both nodded.
The three of us talked while we were getting changed into our gym clothes, and soon became friends.
We got told that we were doing track this lesson, which I hated, so I made my way outside. The only person that seemed to not mind it was Maya, but she did mention that she likes to run.
As the lesson started, the teacher put me, Maya, Vic and two other people (I think their names were Alex and Jackson) together and told us to go to the start.
"Three, two, one, go!" She shouted, and we all started running. However, we soon realised that none of stood a chance against Maya. I knew she liked running, but I had no clue she was this good at it.
She finished at least 30 seconds before all of us. Plus, she didn't even seem out of breath, whereas we were all panting like mad.
"How... how are you so fast?" I asked.
"I told you, I like to run," she said, shrugging like it was no big deal.
For the rest of the hour, we all switched groups and had races. Every group that Maya was in, she won. At some point the rest of us just stopped trying, because we knew there was no way we'd get even close to beating her.
At the end of the lesson, we went and got changed again, and then Vic, Maya and I went to find our lockers to put our gym bags in. Once we had dome that, we checked our timetables to see what we had next.
I had Spanish - which was going to be easy seeing as I speak it fluently - and Vic and Maya both had math.
When I got to my Spanish classroom, there was only one empty seat, which of course was next to Robert. I sighed, but sat down anyway.
To start with, I didn't say anything, but I could feel his eyes on me.
"Andrea, right?" He asked eventually.
"Yeah, but everyone calls me Andy," I answered.
"Right. Andy it is. I'm Robert," he said.
"I remember," I said, realising only after I said it how weird that probably sounded.
Luckily, I was saved by the teacher coming in.
"Right class. Today we will be starting with the basics. I want you to work with the person you're sat next with and see which of you can count the highest in Spanish," the teacher said.
I turned to Robert with a smirk, ready to surprise him with my Spanish knowledge. I already knew that Spanish was probably one of the six languages he spoke, but I didn't mention that I spoke it too.
"You wanna go first?" I asked, doing my best to look confused.
"Okay, you ready to lose?" Robert said and I laughed.
"Oh sure, if you say so," I replied.
"Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco," Robert started and carried on until he got to 49.
"Cuarenta y nueve... um..."
"What's wrong, you don't know anymore?" I teased him.
"Damn it, fine. But I bet I got further than you can," he said.
"Let's see shall we," I replied, and started to count. When I got to fifty, I carried on, smiling at the fact that I had beat him.
"Okay, okay, you can stop now, you win," Robert said and I laughed.
"Now what was it you were saying about loosing?" I joked, and he glared at me.
Looks like we were both as competitive as each other, this is going to be fun.