Chapter Six

Travis' pov

When I woke up, I could already hear my Mom downstairs in the kitchen, which made me laugh to myself. She didn't have to get up for at least another hour, but she had probably already been up a while. I, on the other hand, had to get up for school now, but I wish I could sleep for another hour.

I heard my Mom coming upstairs, and I pulled my pillow over my head, groaning. I just wanted to sleep.

"Travis come on, it's time to get up," she said, peering into my room.

"Five more minutes?" I begged.

"No, I've made you breakfast and it'll go cold," she said, and I got out of bed sighing. I followed her downstairs and sat down at the table. As I started to eat the porridge she had made, my Mom started talking.

"Are you sure you don't want me to make you a packed lunch? I could put some of the soup you like in a flask?" Mom asked. As much as I did like her soup, I didn't really want to take it to school with me, especially not in September.

"No thanks, I'll just get something from the canteen," I said.

"Okay, do you want me to drop you off? I'm going into work a bit later today," she said.

"Sure, thanks Mom," I said, and she smiled.

Once I finished eating, I went back upstairs to get washed and dressed.

Once I was dressed, I grabbed my bag, that I had packed the night before, and went back downstairs. My Mom was sat on the couch waiting for me, so I went and sat down next to her, seeing as we still had five minutes before we needed to leave.

"Are you excited for your first day?" she asked.

"Kind of, yeah, but I'm also a bit nervous," I answered truthfully.

"That's normal on your first day of high school, you'll be fine," she said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Thanks Mom, I know," I said.

"Come on, we better get going. Try to be quiet, somehow your dad is still asleep," she said, and I quickly and quietly put my shoes on and followed her out the door.

On the car ride to school, we talked about a bunch of random things, and before I knew it we were there. I gave my Mom a hug, and then jumped out of the car. I stood on the sidewalk for a few moments before heading in.

Ben's pov

I woke up, and went downstairs straight away. Somehow my sister was already up, playing some video game on the tv.

"Ben come play this with me," she said, and I laughed, grabbing a controller.

We played the same video game for about half an hour. Roz won four times, and I won three times. We were halfway through the game when Mom came down, and unplugged the tv.

"Mom!! We were in the middle of a game!" Roz said, glaring at her.

"Well you both need to get ready for school, or you'll be late. You can play again if you're ready in time," she said, and we both sighed, but did as she said.

We went into the kitchen and got some cereal for breakfast, eating it quickly. Once we had eaten, we ran upstairs, racing to see who could get ready first.

I got dressed, and then threw all of things I needed into my school bag and my gym bag. I slung them over my shoulder, and ran back downstairs.

Seeing that Roz wasn't there yet, I jumped over the back of the sofa and sat on it. Only about thirty seconds later, she came running in.

"I beat you," I said, as she sat down next to me.

"Yeah but I had to do my hair," she said, making an excuse.

Instead of answering her, I just passed her a controller, and we started to play the video game again.

We played for about five more minutes, but then both of our parents came in.

"Come on kids, it's time to go to school," Mom said, and we both groaned.

Mom and Dad dropped us both off at school on their way to work. When I got out the car, I looked at the place where I would be spending the next few years. The school was a lot bigger than my other school, but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. I took a deep breath, and then walked in.