Chapter 11 - 🔥

*Mature content ahead

Noah went ahead and Samuel stood there glaring at his back, however, his friend was unaware of it.

What does it matter if he fucked her? They were just in the contract for their lust. Besides, there was a rule if any one of them finds another person or falls in love, the deal's off.

His chest felt heavy all of a sudden and he wondered if it was because of the ocean.

He released a breath and went to the ocean with his surfboard. The water felt cool against his skin and it somehow calmed him. He took a glance at the bar and saw Noah was leaning toward Kennedy.

What made his belly tied into a knot was Kennedy was enjoying his company. She was smiling probably at his snarky comments and dry humour.

He ignored the fact it somehow stirred him from the inside. He didn't know why and he certainly didn't want to know and went to the ocean.

****

As he came back and wiped off the salty water Gwen appeared with a knowing smile, a mischievous glint playing in her eyes.

"Hey!"

"Hey!"

"So, I was thinking..." she fidgeted under his blank stare, "let's go to dinner tonight?"

At first thought, he was going to say yes but he remembered the big day was approaching fast and he had to confine himself in a room for the next few days.

"I can't. I have a project to finish in three days."

Gwen's smile fell but Samuel had to finish it by crook or hook. Well, partly he wasn't interested in Gwen anymore so, that would make it a good excuse.

"What kind of project?" Gwen asked even if she was offended, Samuel could see, she was diverting the conversation to save herself from the embarrassment.

"Just some projects."

Samuel put on a matte yellow t-shirt and he felt hungry after surfing.

"Were you always like this?"

Gwen's question startled him and he could not get the meaning behind them. "What do you mean by 'like this'?"

"Distant."

A gap formed on his lips as he never thought it like that. He had always liked to stay by himself. The less he talked the less he found himself out of trouble. The less he had people in his life the less anyone became close to him other than Noah. Noah had always clung to him or made him play along with his stupidity. But if Noah and David weren't there, Samuel didn't have anyone beside him. This was the first time Samuel thought of it.

He didn't quite remember when he became like 'this'. Distant. Somehow the word created a swirl of emotions in him yet he failed to decipher it.

"I don't know what you're talking about." His voice became hard on the edge, however, it made Gwen chuckle softly. What was so funny?

"Don't you get tired of being alone?"

"For your kind information, I'm not alone." Gwen's questions made him annoyed more. First, it was Noah, and now, it was Gwen. Was today the day where Samuel would be annoyed by everyone?

"You are, Samuel, you are. Because you fell in love with the loneliness, you don't quite get it."

She gave him a playful smile before going ahead to the group.

Samuel stood there with a blank face. The words Gwen sprouted at him, replaying in his mind over and over again.

"Was she a poet or something?" He muttered in his breath and went to the bar as well.