Chapter 14: Chilling Tragicomedy

My eyes quickly stabbed at the corner of my lids. Sweat glands began to fire up like muzzles in a multi-barrel rocket launcher. I felt something drop in my abdomen, like my upper organs just turned into a large, stress-knotted, snow ball that just plummeted into my stomach, the ice melting away into a liquidy feeling of shame, panic and alarum.

"Beni..." Isaac lamented, his voice warbling and shaking with the edge of gloom. But then his voice would quiver with crackles of slight 'hees' and 'haas'; chuckles beginning to spread out their infectious influence over his mouth. He took a step forward, the soda cans dropping behind him with hisses and pops as dyed liquids sprayed. Sprayed like blood.

"Ah...she's....she's sleeping. Yeah...s-sleeping...haha..." his voice trailed off. He took another step. His chuckles had combined the emotions of denial, sadness and anguish into one cry of despair. Laughter, to Isaac, was something I had begun to understand as his primary tool of defense. A chuckle to block off the awkwardness of a conversation. A laugh to block the pain away. A guffaw to illicit happiness.

He took another step to us. I snapped back, my hands still trembling, syrupy blood dribbling off my hands— fingers and sickle. Next to me, Benilde breathed in a low rumble, her flame of life slowly dying out. I was too in shock to react. I just kept glancing to her soon corpse and back to my hands and then again at Isaac.

"Yeah...hehe....SLEEPING! Yes...she's joking haha!" He deluded himself. He took more steps. Each one closer and closer to us.

"Isaac...she's dead, man. Get away! Don't take another step!" I tried to warn him, my left palm digging into my eye socket trying desperately to block out the pulses. But Iustitia's sight persevered, and the pain shot up my optical nerve. My words didn't get to him, and they couldn't stop him from snapping.

"She's such a JOKEster! The lOVe of Myyyy Liiifeee hahaha! She woulD'NT LEAve me. Hehehehe, SHE'S ALLLL I HAAveeee hahahaha!!"

Why did he have that laugh? A laugh that carried two colors to its sound. A color that sometimes expressed that sense of familiarity, and infectious merry. But sometimes, and often, it would be a cold laugh. A laugh to block out the stress of having to listen to my complaints. A laugh that diminished any value from the sorrows I would sometimes share with him. A laugh that froze out not only his personal issues but mine. A laugh of apathy, but even worse, a laugh of fake friendship and worry.

A laugh that didn't acknowledge my distress. My pain. A laugh that didn't inquire about the horrors I've faced tonight. Yes, his girlfriend was killed— murdered by me, but...but...why doesn't he show a shred of concern for my well being? I've gone through so much torture today...why doesn't he see that? A laugh that completely didn't acknowledge all the pain I've gone through. Neither him nor Benilde nor Nasima ever even saw the bite mark I had. A laugh of negligence.

"Don't! GET AWAY! Don't take another step, please. Please, I'm begging you!" I sobbed out. The pain was rising again, but I've become almost numb to it. The surges were starting again in my eye, the vision of Isaac was beginning to shift with it. Don't come closer... don't come closer... don't make me do something I don't want to. I raised my sickle at him, unable to form words behind my fluctuating voice mixed with yelps.

"ISAAC! Go...AWAY! Don't...just don't."

And then the air became frigid and cold. My eye tensed. His image had distorted, and in its place, lied a devilish being. The hissing of the sodas began to die out, and I noticed that they began to shine. Crystallized in sheets of ice.