Sandstorm Hazards

Wu Xie

Not knowing when the storm was going to settle down, they decided to walk toward the ruins of the Devil City, which was most likely to be closer than they original thought, as they had already reached the first ring of protection named on his grandfather's notes. All members of the team had the approximate coordinates of the Devil City, so the others will also make their way there at some point.

They already carry with them all they need to survive for the next two week at least and even if they end up short on provisions, it was best to discards the cars at that point, as the storm could easily burry them on sand if it lasted for long enough. Thus there was no turning back and the only thing they could hope was for them to rendezvous somewhere outside the storm range.

Just to be on the safe side, they had tide each other with a robe and walked against the storm guided only by their compass, as the visibility was narrow to a few feet ahead of them. They walked in silence for who knows how long, until the wind became too strong to keep ahead.

"Wu Xie! Let's stop here! There are some rocks than can shield us from the strongest winds that way!" Xiao Hua called him, noticing a formation of tall rocks at his right and pointing in that direction.

"Okay!" Wu Xie yelled back, but as he turned to walk to his right been the first in their small line, something that seems to come from under the sand on his feet rushed his way out in a flash and cut his rope, pulling him with was was left of the now free rope, making him stumble backwards by the unexpected force.

"Tianzhen!!" Wu Xie hear Pangzi yell after him, but he could not do anything to stop whatever force had grab the end of his ripped rope, because there was only sand under him, not something hard he could grab on.

"Wu Xie!!!" Xiao Hua yelled as he ran after him, but whatever was pulling Wu Xie was too fast for them to catch him before he disappeared in the raging storm.

Zhang Qiling

He felt in the very moment Wu Xie's spiral in fear when he was suddenly taken that he was in danger. His own heart also spiking in Wu Xie's strong emotions, making his body release more adrenaline that was needed for his previous walk.

"Wu Xie..." He whisper and looked back at Xiazi, signaling him that he was going ahead and not really waiting for an approval, he dashed into the sandstorm in which he felt Wu Xie's panic the strongest. His almost inhuman speed make him run faster than possible for common people, yet even if he pressed his mad dash, he felt he was still moving too slowly.

He had no idea of what was happening to the younger man, only that he was scare and in danger. That alone make him push himself to his own limit against the damn storm and grabbing the hilt of his sword, he unlashed from its sheath and ready himself for anything he may find attacking Wu Xie. He swear that wathever it may be, he was not going to show any mercy, for daring see Wu Xie as an easy prey.

"I'm coming..." He whisper to himself as he ran after the moving target, until he finally hear Wu Xie's angry yelling's close by.

"Let go of me!! Damn it, let go!!" He hear Wu Xie yell and he almost smirked. Even when his heart was full of fear, he could tell there was also annoyance while he struggled to make the thing stop by trying to grab the sand in hope to find something that could anchor him.

The thing that was quickly dragging him over the sand was a kind of overgrown sand lizard he had never remember seen it before. It resemble the shape of a caiman, but bigger, more agile and strong. By it intense red color of its skin, he could tell that it was poisonous and by the fast way it moved, even when dragging Wu Xie behind it, he knew it was also quite strong.