The Calling

Wu Xie

He was not sure of why the bronze gate open in the instant he was threatened by the things that were coming to kill him, nor why Xiaoge was calling him from the inside of the huge thing, when he usually was waiting for him to show up somewhere safe inside the unknown tomb they meet in their dreams, but no matter the reason, Wu Xie had no other way to escape the beasts that were about to slaughter him but to go inside.

Giving his current situation, he better take his chances in, that risk a certain death on a possible dream that could affect him on real life as well. The Xioage outside this place, which he had visit on his dream almost every night when he was younger, had said that demons were coming and that he had sensed them even before Xiaoge did, but then he had blackout on him and was somehow pulled into his dream world in which perhaps those same demons that were approaching in real life were now trying to kill him there too.

"Wu Xie! Hurry!" Xiaoge's voice urged him and Wu Xie turned in a dash to enter the huge gate, just in time, as one of the beast was about to slice his back into shreds with its sharp claws. He had no idea of what was inside the door, but if his dream Xiaoge was there, then it didn't meant to be a threat which was exactly what he needed to escape a sudden death and as soon as his body crossed that strange golden glowing film, he hear the door close with a loud sound that seems to reverberate inside the now dark place.

Thinking back, when he first dreamed with the younger version of Zhang Qiling, the gate had been there and Xiaoge had stood right in front of it. He had forgot about it, as time passes and he grew a bit older, because Xiaoge was in front of it just once, after that, they meet somewhere else inside what looked like a tomb, heavily guarded by other things he knew were there but he could not see them, just sense them.

He was only a kid at that time, but now it was different. He had grown into a young man, capable of see further than he was then and as he stood inside the gate, the darkness that covered everything dispelled just enough for him to see what was in front of him. The place was still dark, but just like a night with a hint of moonlight, although what little light was illuminating the place was greenish, instead of the platinum light of the moon.

"Xiaoge!" Wu Xie called and his voice echoes around the huge room, if it was a room, because so far he could not see walls and not even a ceiling for that matter, just a greenish light that goes on like forever as well as his calling, that were not answer.

"Xiaoge!" He called again, but his only answer was his own voice bouncing back into invisible walls.

"Zhang Qiling!!! Where are you? Why did you call me? What is this place?" Wu Xie shouted, in hope to see the Xiaoge of his dream, which had clearly called him before was somewhere around, but he could not see him.

"Wu Xie..." The soft voice of Xiaoge also echoes, for which Wu Xie could not pinpoint the exact place from where Qiling was calling him, only that it seems to come from further in and so he walked, getting deeper into the place.

At some point there was a film of water on the floor and he could hear water drops falling down at irregular times, almost making a strange kind of melody. There were stones men scattered here and there. All of them in full armor, most like jade servants in waiting to go to war at any moment, which was not uncommon on tombs of emperors, so he guesses that whatever that place was, it was still inside the tomb despite the greenish light that make it look alien.

Curiously, Wu Xie stopped in front of one to try see it better, but he was stopped halfway by a cold hand that pull him away from the jade servant. When Wu Xie turned, to look at who had pulled him, he was face to face with Xiaoge. His dream Zhang Qiling at that, because the real one, despite been real handsome could never look so... enchanting, for lack of words to properly describe the man he was just watching in something quite close to trance.